Back to Hogwarts

"We've already agreed it was fishy, Harry," said Estella. She laid on Harry's bed, reading Alice in Zombieland while Harry played chess with Ron. "There could be a ton of other explanations."

"Maybe he's broken his Hand of Glory," said Ron vaguely, as he moved a chess piece. "Remember that shriveled-up arm Malfoy had?"

"But what about when he said, 'Don't forget to keep that one safe?" asked Harry for the umpteenth time. "That sounded to me like Borgin's got another one of the broken objects, and Malfoy wants both."

"You reckon?" said Ron.

"Yeah, I do," said Harry. When neither of them answered, he said, "Malfoy's father's in Azkaban. Don't you think he'd want revenge?"

"Harry, what are you trying to say?" asked Estella, sitting up and sitting down her book.

"He's a Death Eater," said Harry slowly. "He's replaced his father as a Death Eater!"

There was a silence; then Ron erupted in laughter. "Malfoy?  He's sixteen, Harry! You think You-Know-Who would let Malfoy join?"

"It seems very unlikely," said Hermione in a repressive sort of voice. "What makes you think-?"

"In Madam Malkin's. She didn't touch him, but he yelled and jerked his arm away from her when she went to roll up his sleeve. It was his left arm. He's been branded with the Dark Mark."

Ron, Estella, and Hermione looked at each other.

Estella broke the silence. "If I didn't know better, Harry, I'd think you're Draco's soulmate, given how much attention you pay him," she said, smiling and deflecting.

Though, Harry paid way too much attention to the whereabouts and actions of Draco Malfoy.

Ron erupted in a fit of laughter, even Hermione chuckled, Harry, however, glared at the girl and moved to the bed.

He moved low to her ear and whispered, "I'll show you how I know you're my soulmate tonight."

Estella shivered and pushed him back to the floor. "Ha ha, Harry, you need to pack since you put it off for so long," she laughed, though her face was flushed and she wanted more than anything to meet up that night.

"Okay, all I'm saying is that Malfoy showed Borgin something we couldn't see," Harry pressed on. "Something that seriously scared Borgin."

The three exchanged looks.

"Seems unlikely..."

"Yeah, I still don't reckon You-Know-Who would let Malfoy join..."

Annoyed, he grabbed Estella's hand and pulled her down the stairs toward the living room, pausing as their names were called.

Sure enough, when they entered the kitchen it was to find Fleur sitting at the kitchen table, in full flow about plans for her wedding to Bill, while Mrs. Weasley kept watch over a pile of self-peeling sprouts, looking bad-tempered.

"...Bil and I 'have decided on three bridesmaid, Ginny, Gabrielle, and Estella will look very sweet togezzer. I am thinking of dressing zem in pale gold-pink would of course be 'orrible with Ginny's 'air-"

"Ah, Estella and Ginny!" said Mrs. Weasley, cutting across Fleur's monologue. "Good, I wanted to explain about the security arrangements for the journey to Hogwarts tomorrow. We've got Ministry cars again, and there will be Aurors waiting at the station-"

"Will Tonks be there again?" asked Estella, glancing down at Fleur's wedding plans.

"No, I don't think so, she's been stationed somewhere else from what Arthur said."