Hermione Gone Wild

No one in Gryffindor Tower slept that night. They knew that the castle was being searched again, and the whole House stayed awake in the common room, waiting to hear whether Black had been caught. Professor McGonagall came back at dawn to tell them that he had again escaped.

Throughout the day, everywhere they went, they saw signs of tighter security; Professor Flitwick could be seen teaching the front doors to reorganize a large picture of Sirius Black; Filch was suddenly bustling up and down corridors, boarding up everything from tiny cracks in the walls to mouse holes. Sir Cadogan had been fired. His portrait had been taken back to its lonely landing on the seventh floor, and the Fat Lady was back. She had been expertly restored but was still extremely nervous and had agreed to return to her job only on the condition that she was given extra protection. A bunch of surly security trolls had been hired to guard her. They paced the corridor in a menacing group, talking in grunts and comparing the size of their cubs.

Neville was in total disgrace. Professor McGonagall was so furious with him that she banned him from all future Hogsmeade visits, gave him detention, and forbade everyone from giving him the password to the tower. Poor Neville was forced to wait outside the common room every night for someone to let him in while the security trolls leered unpleasantly at him. None of these punishments, however, came close to matching the ones his grandmother had in store for him. Two days after Black's break-in, she sent Neville the worst thing a Hogwarts student can receive over breakfast-a Howler.

Estella stood with Hermione as they overheard Ron and Harry discussing Hogsmeade.

"Harry, if you go to Hogsmeade again...I'll tell Professor McGonagall about that map!" said Hermione.

"Can you hear someone talking, Harry?" growled Ron, not looking at Hermione.

Estella scoffed, "Seriously, Ronald, what are you, five?"

"Ron, how can you let him go with you? After what Sirius Black nearly did to you! I mean it, I'll tell-"

"So now you're trying to get Harry expelled?" said Ron furiously. "Haven't you done enough damage this year?"

Estella watched Hermione walk away and walked along with her.

*********

The following day Estella sat with Hermione and read the letter sent from Hagrid.

Dear Hermione and Estella,

We lost. I'm allowed to bring him back to Hogwarts.

Execution date to be fixed.

Beaky has enjoyed London.

I won't forget all the help you gave us.

Thank you for asking your father to testify.

Hagrid

Estella looked at Harry and Hermione.

"They can't do this," said Harry. "They can't. Buckbeak isn't dangerous."

"Malfoy's dad's frightened the Committee into it," said Hermione, wiping her eyes. "You know what he's like. They're a bunch of doddery old fools, and they were scared. They'll be an appeal, though; there always is. Only I can't see any hope...Nothing will have changed." Estella wiped her eyes. Buckbeak didn't deserve to die because of someone as stupid as Draco.

"Yeah, it will," said Ron fiercely. "You won't have to do all the work with Estella this time, Hermione. I'll help." Estella grinned; the band was back together.

"Oh, Ron!"

Hermione found her arms around Ron's neck and broke down completely. Ron, looking quite terrified, patted her very awkwardly on the top of the head. Finally, Hermione drew away.