Peter Pettigrew

It took a few seconds for the absurdity of this statement to sink in.

"Peter Pettigrew's dead!" yelled Harry. "He killed him twelve years ago!" He pointed at Black, whose face twitched convulsively.

"I meant to," he growled, his yellow teeth bared, "nut little Peter got the better of me...not this time, though!" Crookshanks was thrown to the floor as Black lunged at Scabbers; Ron yelled with pain as Black's weight fell on his broken leg.

"Sirius, no!" Lupin yelled, launching himself forward and dragging Black away from Ron with help from Aspen.

"Wait! You can't do it just like that-they need to understand-we've got to explain-"

"We can explain afterward!" snarled Black, trying to throw Lupin off. One hand was still clawing in the air as it tried to reach Scabbers, who was squealing like a piglet, scratching Ron's face and neck as he tried to escape.

"We owe Harry and Estella the truth, Sirius!" Aspen yelled. The anger in his voice was evident as he pulled Black to his feet.

"All right, then," Black said, without taking his eyes off the rat. "Tell them whatever you like. But make it quick. I want to commit the murder I was in prison for..."

"You're nutters, both of you," said Ron shakily, looking around at Harry, Estella, and Hermione for support. "I've had enough of this. I'm off."

He tried to heave himself up on his good leg, but Lupin raised his wand again, pointing it at Scabbers.

"You're going to hear me out, Ron," he said quietly. "Just keep a tight hold on Peter while you listen."

"He's not Peter, he's Scabbers!" Ron yelled, trying to force the rat back into his front pocket, but Scabbers was fighting too hard; Ron swayed and over-balanced, and Harry caught him and pushed him back down to the bed. Then, ignoring Black, Harry turned to Lupin and Aspen.

"There were witnesses who saw Pettigrew die," he said. "A whole street full of them..."

"They didn't see what they thought they saw!" said Black savagely, still watching Scabbers struggling in Ron's hands.

"Everyone thought Sirius killed Peter," said Lupin, nodding. "I believed it myself, I knew Aspen had doubts, but without proof, it was just a thought. Then we saw the map tonight. Because the Marauder's Map never lies...Peter's alive. Ron's holding him!"

They looked down at Ron, Estella didn't think the two adults were off base. For a rat, Scabbers seemed to have nine lives.

"It can't be true..."

"Why can't it be?" aspen said calmly.

"Because people would know if Peter Pettigrew had been an Animagus. We did Animagi in class with Professor McGonagall. The Ministry of Magic keeps tabs on witches and wizards who become animals; there's a register showing what animal they have become, and their markings and things. There have only been seven Animagi this century, and Peter Pettigrew's name wasn't on the list."

"Mione, people can lie about that," Estella commented, "that's what I would do..." she trailed off.

"Right again, Estella!" Lupin marveled. "The Ministry never knew that there used to be four unregistered Animagi running around Hogwarts-"

There had been a loud creak behind them. The bedroom door had opened on its own accord. All six of them stared at it. Then Aspen strolled toward it and looked out into the landing.

"No one there..."

"This place is haunted!" said Ron.

"It's not," said Lupin, still looking at the door in a puzzled way. "The Shrieking Shack was never haunted...The screams and howls the villagers used to hear were made by me."