Hogsmeade and Uncovered Secrets

Two weeks before the end of the term, the sky lightened suddenly to a dazzling, opaline white and the muddy grounds were revealed one morning covered in glittering frost. Inside the castle, there was a buzz of Christmas in the air. Professor Flitwick, the Charms teacher, had already decorated his classroom with shimmering lights that turned out to be real, fluttering fairies. The students were happily discussing their plans for the holidays. Hermione, Ron, and Estella had decided to remain at Hogwarts, and though Ron said it was because he couldn't stand two weeks with Percy, and Hermione insisted she needed to use the library, while Estella candidly admitted she wanted to be with the people she cared about and one of those people just happened to be Harry. She also knew her dad was being forced to work double-time by the Ministry to catch Sirius Black. Harry wasn't fooled by Hermione and Ron's lies, but he was very grateful.

To everyone's delight except Harry's, there was to be another Hogsmeade trip on the very last weekend of term. Estella tried to say she'd remain at Hogwarts, but Harry refused to let her.

"We can do all our Christmas shopping there!" said Hermione. "Mum and Dad would really love those Teeth Flossing Stringmints from Honeydukes!"

The trio watched as Harry bid goodbye to Ron and Hermione, who were wrapped in cloaks and scarves. Estella wearing Harry's Quidditch windbreaker.

She noticed his crestfallen expression and jogged back to him. "Are you sure you don't want me to stay? We could have a movie marathon with the old projector my grandfather has hidden away."

Instead of replying, Harry pulled the girl into a tight hug which she gladly accepted. His body warm, but the air around them cold.

"We could watch Home Alone. The first one or maybe the second, of course. The third isn't worth it." Harry laughed against her cheek and slowly pulled away to look at her eyes. The eyes he often found himself lost in. The eyes that flashed in his mind before he fell asleep.

"Es, have I ever told you how much I lo-appreciate you?" He looked down at the flushed face girl, her arms still around his waist.

"Hmm, only like once a month. Doesn't hurt hearing it more," Estella said, grinning. Harry looked away at the sound of a voice coughing. Glancing up to see Ron staring and Hermione smiling.

"Go, go have fun at Hogsmeade."

Estella shook her head, "Are you sure?" She knew how disappointed he was that he couldn't come along. She'd already argued with her grandfather on this subject, but it was no use. He wouldn't budge.

"Yeah, you just have to promise to bring back sweets," Harry replied. He desperately wished he could go. Be there to witness the greatness of Hogsmeade with someone who understood why he wanted to go so badly.

Estella held her pinky, "I promise," she swore. He grinned and wrapped his finger around hers.

"Stella, come on!" Ron called. She heard a grunt of pain, and Ron groan Hermione's name.

"Alright then, bye, Harry," Estella reluctantly pulled away from Harry and joined Ron and Hermione.

The three began to walk down the path to Hogsmeade.

Ron turned to Estella, "What was that?"

She tilted her head, "What was what?"

"Why, you and Harry, of course. Merlin, I thought you were going to snog or something," Ron replied. Estella flushed bright pink. She remembered the feeling of his lips on her cheek and the sparks of warmth it sent.

"N-nothing-" Estella muttered.

"Honestly, Ron, that's none of your business," Hermione scolded.

"What, I think it is. That's my best friend and a girl who's basically my sister. I don't want to hear Harry talk about her like that. Boys gossip too, you know." Ron made a sound of disgust, eliciting another hit from Hermione. Estella's face grew impossibly hot. Did Harry talk about girls? More importantly, was she one of them?