Making Connections and Potterwatch

Estella fell, panting, onto grass and scrambled up at once. They seemed to have landed in the corner of a field at dusk; Hermione was already running in a circle around them, waving her wand.

"Protego Totalum...Salvio Hexia..."

"That treacherous old bleeder!" Ron panted, emerging from beneath the Invisibility Cloak and throwing it to Harry. "Hermione, you're a genius, a total genius, I can't believe we got out of that!"

"Cave Inimicum...Didn't I say it was an Erumpent horn, didn't I tell him? And now his house had been blown apart!"

"Serves his right," said Ron, examining his torn jeans and the cuts to his legs. "What d'you reckon they'll do to him?"

"I hope not kill him," mumbled Estella, as she moved forward to heal the cuts on Ron's leg.

"That's why I wanted the Death Eaters to get a glimpse of Harry and Estella before we left, so they knew Xenophilius hadn't been lying!" said Hermione.

"Why hide me, though?" asked Ron.

"You're supposed to be in bed with spattergroit, Ron! They've kidnapped Luna because her father supported Harry! The only bad part is, now they know for certain Harry and Estella are traveling together, which they probably suspected but at least it wasn't confirmed then. What would happen to your family if they knew you're with him?"

"But what about your mum and dad?"

"They're in Australia," said Hermione. "They should be all right. They don't know anything."

"You're a genius," Ron repeated, looking awed.

Estella nodded and began to set up the tent.

"Yeah, you are, Hermione," agreed Harry fervently.

Hermione beamed but became solemn at once.

"What about Luna?"

"She might be at Azkaban," said Ron. "Whether she survives the place, though...Loads don't..."

"She will," said Estella. "She's tougher than you'd think. She's probably annoying the other inmates about Wrackspurts and Nargles. Probably hanging on to the thought of Ginny..."

"I hope you're right," said Hermione. She passed a hand over her eyes. "I'd feel so sorry for Xenophilius if-"

"-if he hadn't just tried to sell us to the Death Eaters, yeah," said Ron.

They entered the tent, where Ron made them tea. After their narrow escape, the chilly, musty old place felt like home: safe, familiar, and friendly.

"Oh, why did we go there?" groaned Hermione after a few moments' silence. "Harry, you were right, it was Godric's Hollow all over again. He might have made it all up, mightn't he? He probably doesn't believe in the Deathly Hallows at all, he just wanted to keep us talking until the Death Eaters arrived!"

"No, I don't think so," said Estella. "It's hard to form a credible and believable lie under such pressure, anxiety, and stress. Plus he was wearing the symbol months ago, he must believe in it."

Ron nodded. "I reckon he told us the truth, or what he thinks is the truth, just to keep us talking."

"Well, I don't suppose it matters," sighed Hermione. "Even if he was being honest, I never heard such a lot of nonsense in my life."

She scowled. They already had this conversation.

"Hermione, a ton of stories seem like nonsense in the Wizarding World and actually aren't," said Estella.