The Arrival of Delegates and a Great Feast

As they recrossed the entrance hall with the rest of the Hogwarts students heading for the Great Hall, Estella saw Lee Jordan jumping up and down on the soles of his feet to get a better look at the back of Krum's and Gallagher's head. Several sixth-year girls were frantically searching their pockets as they walked in search of a quill and makeup.

"You haven't got a quill, have you, guys?"

"Nope, they're in our bags," said Harry.

They walked over to the Gryffindor table and sat down. Ron took care to sit on the side facing the doorway because Krum and Gallagher and their fellow Drumstrang students were still gathered around, unsure about where to sit. The students from Beauxbatons had chosen seats at the Ravenclaw table. They were looking around the Great Hall with glum expressions on their faces. Three of them were still clutching scarves and shawls around their heads.

Estella laughed at the sight as Hermione said, "It's not that cold. Why didn't they bring cloaks?"

"Over here! Come and sit over here!" Ron hissed. "Over here! Hermione, budge up and make space-"

"What?"

"Too late," said Ron bitterly.

Krum, Gallagher, and their fellow Drumstrang students had settled themselves at the Slytherin table. Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle looked very smug as Malfoy bent forward to speak to Krum.

"They look a lot happier than the Beauxbatons lot," Harry observed. The Drumstrang lot were pulling off their heavy furs and looking up at the starry black ceiling with expressions of interest; a couple of them were picking up the golden plates and goblets and examining them, apparently impressed.

When all the students had entered the hall and settled down at their house tables, the staff entered, filling up the top table and taking their seats. Last in line were Professor Dumbledore, Professor Karkaroff, and Madame Maxime.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, ghosts and, most particularly, guests," said Dumbledore, beaming around at the foreign students. "I have great pleasure in welcoming you all to Hogwarts. I hope and trust that your stay here will be comfortable and enjoyable."

One of the Beauxbatons girls still clutching a muffler around her head gave what was unmistakably a derisive laugh, inciting a glare from Estella.

"No one's making you stay!" Hermione whispered, bristling at her.

"The tournament will be officially opened at the end of the feast," said Dumbledore. "I now invite you all to eat, drink, and make yourself at home!"

He sat down, and Estella saw Karkaroff lean forward at once and engage him in conversation.

The plates in front of them were filled with food, as usual. The house-elves in the kitchen seem to have pulled out all the stops; there was a greater variety of dishes in front of them more than Estella had ever seen, including several that were definitely foreign.

"What's that?" said Ron, pointing at a large dish of some sort of shellfish stew that stood beside a large steak-and-kidney pudding.

"Bouillabaisse," said Hermione.

"Bless you," said Ron. Estella burst into a fit of giggles. Ron never ceased to amaze her.

"It's French, Ron," laughed Estella, who was dying of laughter. 'Bless you!' He really said, "Bless you."

"oh-my-Merlin, I can't-" Estella's chest hurt from laughing so hard, earning attention from other tables.

Harry smiled as he looked at the girl next to him.