Back to Hogwarts and a Poor Occulmency Lesson

Kreacher, it transpired, had been lurking in the attic. Sirius said he had found him up there, covered in dust, no doubt looking for more relics of the Black family to hide in his cupboard. Though Sirius seemed satisfied with this story, it made Estella uneasy. There was no doubt Kreacher had been sneaking out, he seemed to be in a better mood, his bitter muttering had subsided somewhat, and he submitted to orders more docilely than usual.

Estella didn't mention her suspicions, and neither did Harry, to Sirius, whose cheerfulness was evaporating fast now that Christmas was over. As the date of their departure back to Hogwarts drew nearer, he became more and more prone to what Mrs. Weasley called "fits of sullens," in which he would become taciturn and grumpy, often withdrawing to Buckbeak's room for hours at a time, only occasionally letting in her father and Lupin. His gloom seeped through the house, oozing under doorways like some noxious gas, so that all of them became infected by it.

Estella did not want to leave Sirius all alone again with only Kreacher for company; and occasionally Lupin and her father. Going back to school meant more of Umbitch, a ton of work, and strict rules Umbridge kept drafting as she saw fit. Her grandfather remained as remote as ever, ignoring her and even her father.

Estella grabbed Harry and dragged her up to her room after his meeting with Snape and the excitement of Mr. Weasley returning had died down.

"I have your present," she said excitedly, searching in her bedside table while Harry ran off to grab hers.

She was sitting on her bed when he returned.

"My wrapping skills are quite atrocious and normally I would ask you to wrap my gifts-" Estella rambled, slightly embarrassed as Harry was an excellent wrapper and her skills were truly terrible.

Harry laughed. "Estella, I love your wrapping. Never fails to make me laugh."

"Okay, well, I go first because I can't wait to see your reaction," she said enthusiastically, passing him a card and a box small enough to be jewelry.

Harry took off the green bow and chuckled as he studied the wrapping paper that was clearly custom ordered as it had little pictures of his face on it. "Really?" he said, grinning at the smiling girl.

"It took so much out of me to not show you as soon as I got it. Isn't it funny?" said Estella excitedly.

"I love it," Harry said, honestly.

"Good, now open the card!"

Harry did as he was told. The card was custom and was a moving photograph of the Gryffindor Quidditch team celebrating their win of the Quidditch Cup in year three. Inside was written:

Dear Harry James Potter,

Happy Christmas! I'm forever glad you accepted that you were my soulmate even though I said we could be platonic soulmates. I was definitely lying when I said that was okay, but look where we are, it turned out pretty great. Anyways, I love you loads and hope you enjoy the tickets!

P.S. you can bring Ron, I don't mind.

In the card were top-box tickets to the Chudley Cannons match this summer.

"Estella, there must've cost a fortune," he marveled, his eyes glimmering with shock and awe.

Estella hit him. "Don't worry about the value," she scolded. "Open your other gift!"

Harry rolled his eyes and grabbed the rectangular box, removed the wrapping paper, and slowly opened it. Inside was a black chain with a dog tag-like pendant; in the middle was a compass that pointed to her and the back was engraved with the phrase, forever and always with you.