Off to Hogwarts

Estella woke with a start on August 4th, 1991. Today was the day she'd get her letter. She'd been waiting for this day as long as she could remember. Today was the day she'd finally get to attend the school, she'd only ever heard stories about. She'd finally know the places where her parents fell in love. Estella sprung from her bed and raced to her closet, quickly grabbing and throwing on clothes. She bolted downstairs, only to stop in her tracks.

Her face lit up with a smile; her dad sat at the kitchen table holding her Hogwarts letter.

Aspen smiled, "It's here!" She raced toward him and started jumping. Her father's crystal bright eyes met her moonstone grey ones, a key trait her mother passed on.

"I'm surprised you weren't up earlier," Aspen says, his eyes twinkling. He remembered his first day of Hogwarts, solely being known as the great Dumbledore's son. A place he hated but soon became his home.

He pulled her into a hug and kissed her head. Today they were celebrating her birthday almost four months after it had happened since her father had been on a remote Auror mission for three and a half months. Estella smiled and hugged him back. She watched as he walked into the living room and returned with a cage in-hand and a solid black owl with bright grey eyes on his arm.

She smiled, "Oh Merlin, it's beautiful." She rushed toward him, beaming with happiness.

He laughed, "And he is all yours." Estella couldn't have been more excited. She reached her hand to the owl's face and carefully waited for the owl to react. His eyes widened before pushing his head into her small hand and letting her to pet him. Estella's eyes closed as visions of the owl's future passed through her mind. A clear image of him flying around a white barn owl was prominent. Ever since Estella was born, she possessed the ability to retrain glimpses of the future by solely touching an animal, a person, or an object of personal importance. An ability passed down from her mother, Aurora, who was murdered the night of Halloween while visiting her best friend, Lily Potter. Unbeknownst to her, this ability would only grow in power.

"What do you think you'll name it?" He glanced down at Estella.

She tilted her head, "I'll call him Lunar, Lun for short. His eyes alike to that of a pearl or moonstone." Lun's eyes stared back at her as he pushed his head back into her hand and purred. Estella flashed him her famous smile and watched as her father pulled two letters and a small necklace jewelry box from his pocket.

The first card read,

My granddaughter,

I apologize for not being there when you awoke. I believe today; my presence would have dampened the mood. Happy "birthday," Estella. Enclosed in the box is a necklace passed down through each female Dumbledore. A necklace that now belongs to you. When at your darkest, it will show you the light.

Love,

Grandpa

Estella examined the necklace; it was absolutely beautiful. Within the center, a glittering pale-green diamond sat surrounded by smaller pearl diamonds.  Although she knew her father's and grandpa's relationship was strained, the two remained close. Her fondest memories involved her grandpa.

The second card read,

My dearest Estella,

Today is the start of some of the best years of your life. I know because my time at Hogwarts was the best years of mine, until you. It's where my brother and I found a family and the love of my life, your father. I desperately wish I could be there; just know in spirit I'll be right next to you. I wish the happiest of birthdays to you, my dearest Essy. I know your father will make it grand. Never forget, whatever your House may be, I know you'll accomplish great things; I've seen it.