Preparing the Burrow for a Grand Event

The shock of losing Mad-Eye hung over the house in the days that followed; Estella kept expecting to see him stumping in through the back door like the other Order members, who passed in and out to relay the news.

It was obvious Harry wanted to act, to set off on the mission to find and destroy Horcruxes as soon as possible.

"Well, you can't do anything about the" -Ron mouthed the word Horcruxes- "till you're seventeen. You've still got the trace on you. And we can plan here as well as anywhere, can't we? Or," he dropped his voice to a whisper, "d'you reckon you already know where the You-Know-Whats are?"

"No," Harry admitted.

"Well, Hermione and I have been doing research," said Estella. "We were saving it for when you got here."

They were sitting at the breakfast table; Mr. Weasley, Aspen, and Bill had just left for work. Mrs. Weasley had gone upstairs to wake Hermione and Ginny, while Fleur had drifted off to take a bath.

"The Trace'll break on the thirty-first," said Harry. "That means I only need to stay here four more days. Then I can-"

"Five days," Ron and Estella corrected him. "We've got to stay for the wedding. Estella's in it, and they'd kill us if we miss it."

The "they" was clearly referring to Fleur and Mrs. Weasley.

"It's one extra day," said Estella when Harry looked mutinous.

"Don't they realize how important-"

"Course they don't," said Ron. "They haven't got a clue. And now you mention it, I wanted to talk to you about that."

Ron glanced toward the door to check that Mrs. Weasley was not returning yet, then leaned in closer to Harry and Estella.

"Mum's been trying to get it out of Hermione and me. I know she's been asking Stella's father about it" -he looked to her for confirmation, and Estella nodded- "What we're off to do? She'll try you and Estella next, so brace yourself. Dad and Lupin've both asked as well, but when we said Dumbledore told you not to tell anyone except us, they dropped it. Not Mum, though. She's determined."

"Anyways, Harry," said Estella, "four days is enough time; I've seen when it is."

"What have you seen-" Harry said quickly, silencing as Mrs. Weasley emerged back in the room.

Ron's prediction came true within hours. Shortly before lunch, Mrs. Weasley detached Estella and Harry from the others by asking them to help her with something in the kitchen. Once she had them cornered in the tiny scullery of the kitchen, she started.

"Ron and Hermione seem to think that the four of you are dropping out of Hogwarts," she began in a light, casual tone.

"Oh," said Harry, his eyes moving to Estella's. "Well, yeah. We are."

"May I ask why you are abandoning your education?" said Mrs. Weasley.

"Well, my grandfather...he left Harry stuff to do," mumbled Estella. "And he told me about it, so I'm helping...Ron and Hermione know about it, and they want to come too."

"What sort of 'stuff'?"

"I'm sorry, I can't-"

"Well, frankly, I think Arthur and I have a right to know, and I'm sure Mr. And Mrs. Granger would agree! Let's not forget Aspen!" said Mrs. Weasley. Estella knew the "concerned parent" attack was coming. She forced herself to look away, and it seemed Harry was doing the same because his eyes were on hers, silently pleading she'd say something first.

She subtly shook her head.

"Dumbledore didn't want anyone else to know, Mrs. Weasley. I'm sorry. Ron and Hermione, even Estella don't have to come, it's their choice-"