The Second Task

Within the weeks leading up to the second task, the four had found themselves constantly in the library researching ways for Harry to breathe underwater, ways that could be done in less than a month and last up to an hour.

It didn't help Harry'd get distracted by Estella's focused appearance as she skimmed through books that he'd drag her into secluded sections and secretly snog against the bookshelves when no one was looking.

Ever since they'd said "I love you," they couldn't keep their hands off each other. Harry was always finding some type of way to touch Estella, which Estella certainly didn't mind.

The group had sent parchment to Sirius with the date of the next Hogsmeade weekend as they sat down again in the library as the sun set outside.

"Take two pints of water, half a point of shredded mandrake leaves, and a newt..." Harry read.

"I don't reckon it can be done," said Ron's voice flatly from the other side of the table. "There's nothing. Nothing. Closest was that thing to dry up puddles and ponds, that Drought Charm, but that was nowhere near powerful enough to drain the lake."

"There must be something," Hermione muttered, moving a candle closer to her. Her eyes were so tired she was pouring over the tiny print of Olde and Forgotten Bewitchments and Charms with her nose about an inch from the page. "They'd never have set a task that was undoable."

Estella poured over the ancient book of spells her grandfather had gifted her; so far, none involved water.

"They have," said Ron. "Harry, just go down to the lake tomorrow, right, stick your head in, yell at the merpeople to give back whatever they've nicked, and see if they chuck it out. Best you can do, mate!"

Estella burst into a fit of laughter, "Merlin, Ron, sometimes I love your brain."

"There's a way of doing it!" Hermione said crossly. "There just has to be!"

She seemed to be taking the library's lack of useful information on the subject as a personal insult; it had never failed her before.

"I should've learned to be an Animagus like Sirius."

"Harry, I don't think you'd turn into a fish," said Estella.

"We can't forget it takes years to become an Animagus, and then you have to register yourself and everything," said Hermione vaguely.

"Hermione, I was joking," said Harry wearily. "I know I haven't got a chance of turning into a frog by tomorrow morning..."

"This is no use," Hermione said, snapping shut Weird Wizarding Dilemmas. "Who on earth wants to make their nose hair grow into ringlets?"

"I wouldn't mind," said Fred Weasley's voice. "Be a talking point, wouldn't it?"

The four of them looked up. Fred and George had just emerged from behind some bookshelves.

"What're you two doing here?" Ron asked.

"Looking for Estella," said George. "McGonagall wants to see you, Stella. And you, Hermione."

"Why?" said Hermione, looking surprised.

"Dunno...she was looking a bit grim, though," said Fred.

"We're supposed to take you down to her office," said George.

Estella and Hermione shared glances. Was Professor McGonagall about to tell her and Hermione off for helping Harry?

"Hey, we'll meet you back in the common room," said Estella as she gave a reassuring squeeze to Harry's hand.