First Encounter

Prologue: Chapter 9~10

==========

Lev and Grim walked toward the school's main road. Grim, despite his earlier bad attitude, was now gawking and smiling at the large trees, buildings, and statues scattered throughout the grounds. Lev also silently marveled at the unique structures and flora. Eventually, they found their way to Main Street, where seven large statues flanked the road. The figures quietly baring down on the students and staff as they walked past. 

Grim looked at the statues in awe, "Amazing! So this is Main Street," he gasped, pawing at the silvery stone. "I didn't get a good look yesterday, but what's with these statues? They look pretty scary."

"Why are you asking me?" Lev asked, crossing her arms. She felt like she had seen the personages before, but from where and when, she couldn't remember.

Is this what that girl was talking about? she wondered.

"I guess that's right," Grim scoffed. "You're just the useless human." Lev silently glared at him, but he didn't notice. He trotted up to one of the statues. "This granny looks especially snobby."

"You don't know about the Queen of Hearts?" a voice asked. Lev and Grim turned to see a student walking up to them. He had messy red-orange hair and eyes. A heart was painted partially over his left eye, and a large, friendly grin was plastered across his face. 

"Sorry, I don't think so," Lev said politely. It was her first time formally interacting with a student, so she didn't want to give a bad impression. 

Grim, on the other hand, didn't really seem to care about manners. "Queen of Hearts?" he repeated dully. "Is she important?"

The boy nodded. "In the past, she was the queen who lived in the Rose Maze. She was someone who valued rules and discipline above all, strict in all things from the march of the Card Soldiers to the color of rose bushes. It was a land of madness where all submit to her rule. If you didn't it was off with your head!"

"That's...a bit extreme," Lev said, fiddling with her braid. Grim nodded his head vigorously, a look of terror upon his face.

"It's cool!" the boy said happily. "I like it. Nobody would listen to a queen who's just nice all the time, right?"

Grim thought for a second then nodded. "I suppose. A strong leader is better. By the way, who're you?"

Lev pinched his stomach. "Hey! Don't say it like that! Be polite!" Grim yelped and grumbled an apology. 

The student laughed. "It's fine. I'm Ace. A fresh-faced first year. Nice to meetcha."

"I am Grim. A genius who'll become the greatest magician!" Grim exclaimed happily, flashing his signature smirk.

Lev laughed shyly. "Don't mind him, he's apparently always like this. My name's Lev, by the way."

Ace looked at Lev for a moment. "You've got an odd sounding name. It's kinda cute~" 

"I-it's just a-a nickname. My full name is Leviline, but I don't really like it," she stuttered, her face going redder than Ace's hair.

Ace laughed again. "Sorry! I'm just teasing. I like the sound of your nickname better too, it's cool that it's kinda weird. I'm just gonna call you that, okay?"

"Yes, please," Lev muttered shyly. 

Grim pulled on Ace's uniform jacket, trying to get his attention. "Hey, Ace. The lion over there with the scar, are they famous?"

Lev frowned at the monster, "Well, he does have a statue, so I think you can guess what the answer is."

"You're right," Ace said. "This is the King of Beasts who rules the savanna. However, he was not born to be king, but he took the throne through effort and elaborate planning. After becoming kind, he even allowed the loathed hyenas to live in his kingdom without discrimination."