Expressing Your Feelings...I guess

Episode 4: Chapter 36~37

===========

Lev was back in the white room. She shot up and looked around.

"Jamil?!" she shouted. The black-haired male was collapsed on the ground just a little distance away from her. "Jamil!" She ran over to him and shook his shoulders. "Wake up! Please! Wake up!" 

Jamil groaned and forced his eyes open. "What...happened?"

The Ramshackle Prefect laughed in relief. "You're okay! Thank goodness!" 

"Lev...?" Jamil muttered, sitting up. "What happened? Where are we?"

"Lelie betrayed you," Lev said softly. "She tried to eat your heart after you Overblotted. I was barely able to stop her."

"Lelie...the demon?" Jamil growled. "I knew something was off about her."

"Then, why did you make a deal with her?"

Jamil didn't say anything, looking at the ground shamefully. Instead, a memory began to form around them. They were inside a large, expensive-looking house. It was styled very similar the Scarabia's dorm house. Two young children stood facing each other, with a pair of adults standing behind one.

One was a young Kalim, the other was a young Jamil. Lev guessed that the people standing behind Jamil were his parents.

"Jamil!" Kalim squealed, running up to the other child. "You're finally here! Let's go play mancala! Today'll be the day I finally beat you!" 

The young Jamil frowned. "Again? Seriously Kalim, I'm just gonna beat you every time. Let's play something else." 

Jamil's mother gasped in horror and pinched his ear. "Jamil! Watch how you talk to Master Kalim!" 

"Ow!" Jamil yelped.

Jamil's father stepped forward. "I'm incredibly sorry, Master Kalim. Thank you so much for deeming our foolish son worthy of your time."

Jamil's parents continued to apologize and thank the young, confused Kalim. The young Jamil glared at the ground, rubbing his sore ear. The image faded away.

"Ah," Lev sighed. "That's why you hate Kalim so much."

Jamil's nose scrunched up in disgust. "My earliest memory is of watching my parents bow their heads in submission to Kalim and his parents. I loathed seeing them like that."

The image appeared again. This time, Kalim was off playing with a large mountain of toys while Jamil's parents were quietly instructing their son.

"Listen, Jamil. Always make sure to keep a three to two losing streak," his father told him. "You can't keep beating Master Kalim."

Jamil opened his mouth to protest, but his mother knelt down and took his small face in her hands. 

"You're a very smart boy," she told him, her voice soft. "I'm sure you can image the position we're in...why we must do this...can't you?" 

The young Jamil sighed sadly and nodded. "I understand." Once again, the images faded away.

"Was there really nothing you could've done?" Lev asked, wringing her hands together nervously.

"No. Kalim's family is way above my own. That means he's above me, in every possible way. Whether it's grades, athletics, or even just games...I can never surpass Kalim."