A Silence Worth A Thousand Words

Episode 4: Chapter 25~27

============

Lev curled up on one of the large cushions, watching her friends play their third round of mancala. She had participated in the first few games, but she was beginning to get really tired. 

"Yay~! I win again!" Floyd cheered. 

Jamil laughed lightly. "You're a good opponent when you actually focus."

Grim groaned. He and Azul had been playing their own separate game of mancala, since each game only needed two players. Sadly for him, Azul beat him 5-0.

"Ugh, you don't go easy, do you?" Grim grumbled.

"Of course, as a member of the Board Game Club, I have a reputation to uphold," Azul said. He turned to Jamil. "You're score is 3 losses to 2 wins, isn't it?" 

Jamil shrugged. "Yeah. I guess I'm a bit rusty. Kalim used to play this game with me for hours on end. I don't really know why, though. I'm not that good."

"Is that so?" Azul muttered, pushing up his glasses and narrowing his eyes suspiciously. 

...That's not a good look. He's got something.

"What was that?" Jamil asked.

"Oh, nothing," Azul said, smiling. "By the way, I was meaning to ask, you and Kalim are childhood friends, right?" 

"I suppose," Jamil replied. "We've been together for as long as I can remember. Aren't you three childhood friends as well?"

Floyd shrugged dramatically and toyed with his scarf. "I suppose so. Apparently, we've been in the same class since elementary school, but we didn't become 'friends' until later."

Jamil studied them. "And now, Azul's the dorm leader, and you and your brother are his posse. You all have a strange relationship." 

"Really? I just listen to Azul because it's fun," Floyd laughed, grinning widely. 

Azul nodded. "Neither Floyd nor Jade have any intention to obey me. It's more like we are simply 'playing the part.'" 

Jamil's brow furrowed. "Playing the part of servant and master? I don't get that."

"Well, if ever the day comes when I make a bad choice or chose the 'boring' option," Azul explained, "the two of them will turn on me and take the seat of Dorm Leader for themselves." He chuckled. "Although, should that day come, I have no intention of losing." 

Floyd smiled wider. "You don't have to worry, Azul. I don't wanna challenge you anytime soon." 

Jamil appeared more confused. "So...you all are on equal terms." 

"For now," Floyd confirmed. "But, if things get to boring it's bye-bye!" 

"Wow. I've been a servant of the Asim family all my life, so this is difficult for me to wrap my head around," Jamil said, picking up a few of the mancala marbles and playing with them between his fingers. "The master is the master and the servant is the servant, until death." 

"That's a bit of a depressing way to look at it," Lev commented. Azul stared at the vice dorm head silently.

"Oh? Hey, guys!" Kalim and Jade suddenly burst into the room. Jamil's expression turned shocked. "Ooooh! Mancala! I haven't played that game in forever!"  

Jamil regained his composer, albeit, a bit shakily. "Kalim, how many times have I told you not to wander around alone? You could get kidnapped again." 

Kalim grinned. "Don't worry, Jamil! Jade was with me." He gestured to the second eel twin who stood beside him.

Jade smiled. "Indeed. He was with me the whole time, so don't fret." His smile turned slightly dangerous. "Kalim was such a big help, too! He was able to explain so much for me."