Brothers

Standing apart from the group, Malleus and Lilia watched as their fellow students happily reunited with their missing Dorm Leaders. Lev had been pulled away by the fellow first years in conversation, so Malleus distanced himself in order to not scare away the Ramshackle Prefects peers. 

Beside him, Lilia chuckled with amusement.

"Behold, Malleus," he said quietly, gesturing to the group. "This is youth and companionship. Isn't it beautiful?" He had a nostalgic smile on his face.

Malleus hummed in uninterested agreement.

"Lilia?"

"Hm?"

"Schoenheit's appearance earlier, that was a change that occurred because his magic and vitality was drained by the Underworld, correct?"

Lilia nodded. "Yes."

"And all human beings wither like that in less than a hundred years?" He hadn't yet been around humans long enough to see it for himself.

"...Yes."

Malleus felt an unfamiliar ache in his heart. "How sad..."

"I wouldn't say that."

Malleus looked at his senior in confusion. "What do you mean by that?"

Lilia smiled and looked back at the students, a melancholy look passing over his deceptively young features. "Human life is as thin as a silk thread on a spinning wheel. It can easily be cut off. However, it is because of that weak and fragile existence that they are able to create such a strong and beautiful history by bonding with each over and connecting their lives." He let out a light laugh. "Such beautiful creatures, humans."

Malleus didn't respond, instead electing to quietly observe his fellow students as he turned the same thought over and over in his head.

========

Lelie

========

The demoness was starting to wish she had followed the dorm leaders back to NRC. Ever since she handed Idia Ortho's memory card, the teenage genius had not stopped tapping away on his computer. A new vessel for Ortho had already been placed on a assembly table in the middle of the observatory room they had set up in. She had hoped to gain a little more information on Idia's brother, whose existance greatly intrigued her. However, Idia kept completely to himself. Adding on to that was his family's curse (one that continuously burns blot forever) and Lelie's tired state. Because of those factors, she couldn't take a peek in his mind either. 

Finally, she audibly groaned and kicked the chair Idia had set himself in, startling him.

"What are you doing that would take so long?" she hissed. 

Idia held up the chip she gave him. "I've been recovering information from this so I can reactivate Ortho. It's his memory and AI card."

"I already know that, but what have you been doing to it that's taking so long?"

"I've been...thinking about a certain setting." He turned the card over in his hand. "If I reactivate it as it is, he might lose control again."

"There's no bug in it," Lelie pointed out. "What might he lose control to?"

Idia sighed. "You're right." He stood up from his seat and walked to the deactivated Ortho. Opening up a card slot on his chest, Idia slid the card into it's spot. Almost immediately, the robot began to buzz and light up.

"Processing memory card," a robotic voice announced. "Processing complete. Magic humanoid ORTHO restarting." A click sounded from within Ortho's body and he finally opened his eyes. 

Idia suddenly nervous again, swallowed before speaking. "...Good morning. Do you recognize me?"

Ortho's eyes closed in a manner that suggested he was smiling. 

"Good morning brother!" The humanoid looked around. "What am I doing here? Wasn't I...?"

Idia put his hand on his brother's shoulder. "Grim swallowed your memory card, so that's why I was able to reactivate you again."

"Really?" Ortho thought for a moment. "I see...so it was 'him' that I saw." He placed a hand on his heart. "For some reason...the core of my memory card is warm."

"What?! Is something wrong?" Idia panicked. "Are your circuits overheating?!"

Ortho quickly shook his head. "No, that's not it. I think...that Ortho is here with me."

Idia furrowed his brows. "What?"

Lelie let out a breathy laugh, drawing the attention of the two brothers. 

"It seems to me," she said, "that Ortho has helped you grow a heart."

"A heart?" Idia asked. 

Lelie walked over to Ortho and looked into his large golden eyes. Sure enough, there was a certain light in them that wasn't there before.

"I have heard of a few times where data has been able to attach itself to a particular memory and grow it's own heart, but I have never seen it myself until now." She patted the humaniod's head. "You can now be whatever you want to be. You're no longer the 'Ortho' program. You're your own being."

"Really?!" Ortho gasped. 

Idia seemed less happy about the concept. He turned to the robot with a sad expression. "Well? What would like to be called then? You don't have to play my brother anymore." He voice seemed to break a little at the end, but he didn't take back his words.

Ortho was quiet for a moment. "I understand...but, if it's okay...can I still be your brother?"

Idia's eyes widened in surprise and Lelie chuckled in amusement. "Oh~?"

"The liquid that flows through my body is not the blood of the Shroud family, but all the memories and feelings that Ortho entrusted to me are forever imprinted into my mind. So in a way, I am Ortho. He is me. So if it's okay...I'd like to stay as your brother."

"I...but..." Idia began.

"Besides," Ortho laughed, "if I leave you alone, you will be so focused on your tech and games you'll forget to take care if yourself. Right now, you don't have close friends to help you, and who knows if you'll make any in the future. So, I gotta stay and help you!" He suddenly became shy, looking at the ground and fiddling with his fingers. "Can...can I stay with you then?"

Idia smiled. "Of course. I wouldn't have it any other way."

Ortho smiled and embraced his brother. "Thank you...Big brother."

Lelie smiled as she watched the brothers, but didn't remain to watch them converse further. She had seen was she wanted, and seeing the two enjoy their second chance reminded her too much of her own chance that had been stripped away from her.