The Gift

Lev blinked in surprise. She didn't know Lilia was leaving so soon. She knew it was within a week from when she first heard about it. But now? It was too soon.

Lilia seemed surprisingly unbothered. "It's already time to go? My, how the time flies when I'm having fun."

Sebek suddenly appeared. "Lilia sir! You can't leave yet! The Young Master and Silver haven't returned yet! You have to at least say goodbye to them!"

The Diasomnia vice smiled at his younger classmen, but his eyes were a bit sad. "Unfortunately, I cannot keep the carriage waiting. Please send them my regards."

"But-!"

Lilia raised a hand to quiet him. "Over 500 years ago, I received a letter in a black envelope. It was an acceptance letter to here, Night Raven College. I kept it for years, not having a use for it. But, I'm glad I kept it." He smiled at the Headmaster. "Thank you, Crowley, for allowing me to enter school at my old age."

"I'll admit it was surprising to see you and your letter, but I was and still am more than happy to accept you here."

Lilia smiled at the room around him. "In less than three years of school, I've managed to spend so much time with beings from other races, backgrounds, and talents. It's has truly been a dream come true." He closed his eyes and grinned. "I'm sad to leave but...Goodbye! May--"

A strong gust of wind suddenly whipped through the room, knocking over tables, chairs, and even people. Everyone froze in silence as a green fire erupted from the middle of the room. Out of the flame walked...Malleus. A chilly breeze and a whirl of snow flew around him.

Lev shot to her feet but her stomach dropped in fear. This scene was far too familiar.

It had haunted her every night.

Malleus smiled devilishly as he took in ths view around him. "My...what a glamorous party you've put together. Everyone is here!" He examined the large number of students and faculty that had gathered with an amused grin.

Another green fire appeared. Silver dropped out of this one, dazed. His eyes were red and puffy as if he'd been crying.

"H-how?!" he gasped, looking around the room in shock.

Lilia ran to Silver and helped him stand up. "Are you okay? You feel so cold. What happened?"

"Lilia," Malleus called. "I'm sorry for being late. I've been thinking about what gift I should give you...and I've come up with the perfect one." He looked around the room. "In fact, I'll give it to all of you!" There was something...dark in his expression. An innocent yet sadistic grin.

Lilia's eyes widened in surprise and...fear? "Gift? Malleus, what are you thinking?"

The Thorn Witch's words echoed in her brain. "I too will bestow a gift on the child..."

Lev didn't think it was possible to feel any worse, but it was. "No...please no..."

"Listen well, everyone!" Malleus exclaimed. "I will bestow a gift to all of you! A great gift! There will be no need to part ways and shed tears again. This is no longer a celebration of the 'end,' it's a 'beginning!'"

"What do you mean?" Silver gasped.

Malleus chuckled. "All of you...will be born again today. Into a world without sorrow where you don't have to lose anything!" He gathered magic at his fingertips. A dark mist began to fill the air.

"W-what's going on?!" Grim cried, clinging to Lev's leg. 

"This can't be happening," Lev muttered. "This can't be happening."