Heartless Betrayal

Episode 4: Chapter 34~35

============

Lev hesitated before following the odd female. The girl opened the door and stood to the side to let Lev through. She growled and shoved past the demon.

The girl led Lev through the blot-darkened Dorm House. Some mind-controlled students slumped in the hallways, unable to do anything. Others were shuffling around, likely following orders from Jamil.

How has he been able to keep it up for this long? Lev wondered, her face scrunching up in worry. How badly injured is he going to be after this?

The girl pinched her cheek. "Stop. Don't make that face. Act cute."

Lev slapped her hand away. "Why should I?" 

The girls face darkened. "Part of my deal with Jamil is that he can have you as an obedient little pet as long as he keeps you safe. If you don't, nether of us are happy and I can't have you go about ruining my plans again."

"You what?!" Lev hissed. "Y'know, I hate when people talk about me behind my back. But making deals about me is even worse." 

"Too bad." The girl shoved her forward. "Now, move." 

The black-haired female forced Lev towards the lounge area, where Jamil was waiting. He was sitting on a large cushion with small puddles of blot forming into snakes around him.

The vice dorm leader frowned at the odd female. "What took you so long, Demon?"

The girl smiled (although Lev could tell it was forced) and bowed. "Apologies, my sultan. We didn't mean to keep you waiting. We were just--"

"I don't want to hear your excuses," Jamil interrupted, the inky snakes around him hissing irritably. The girl snapped her mouth shut, her golden irises flaring slightly. The dark-haired boy turned his gaze to Lev. She flinched under his stare.

Think, Lev, think. What should you do? She glanced out the window, towards the area where her friends had been catapulted away by Jamil's magic. None of them are going to give up, I know that. So, I shouldn't either. If I can just keep Jamil distracted for long enough, that might buy them time to get here.

"What's the matter, Prefect?" Jamil suddenly snapped.

Lev flinched again. Catching the girl's warning glare, she muttered, "Nothing." 

Jamil sighed and stood up. "Come now, I'm not like all those other idiots. I can read people. Something's wrong, so tell me." 

Lev thought for a moment. "Fine. Your demon friend won't tell me her name, and it's bothering me." Not a total lie. 

"I see." Jamil seemed convinced by this. "As a matter of fact, I don't believe you've told me your name. Spill it, Demon." 

The girl's scarred eye twitched a bit in annoyance. "I'm sorry, my sultan, but I'm afraid I can't."

"Why not?" Jamil growled, glaring at her.

"You see...I actually don't have a name," the girl explained. "Not technically, anyway. Ever since I turned into the being that I am now, I've lost all connection to my former self. That includes my name."

"Really? You've never been given a name?" Lev said, tilting her head to the side innocently. 

The girl glared at her. "Well, I have been given a name, but it's the same as my old name and I don't--"

"Tell us it, then," Jamil ordered. "Now."

The girl inhaled sharply. "Fine. The name I was given is...Lelie."