March to the Oasis

Episode 4: Chapter 13 (2/2)~ 16

===========

The next morning Lev and Grim were woken up by some obviously exhausted Scarabia students. They took Grim to do some morning warm-ups while Lev got changed.

She took a black and red outfit from the stack that Jamil gave her. It looked like the uniform that most of the other Scarabia students were wearing, but made more a more female body type. A long wrap-around skirt was held around the top of her waist by a golden chain, with the slit showing most of her leg up to her mid-thigh. It was patterned like the other student's pants, with red flames dancing along the bottom hem. A plain black crop-top was covered by a sleeveless black and gold jacket. 

Pulling her hair back into a high ponytail and slipping a snake-shaped armlet on her bicep, she walked down to the lounge. There, Kalim was leading the rest of the students out to the desert to begin their long walk to the oasis. He was still in his scary-Kalim state.

"Grim!" Lev called. 

The small monster laughed in relief and ran over to Lev. "Finally! It took you long enough!"

"Sorry," Lev sighed. "Are we leaving?"

"Yes," Jamil said, walking up to her. "I've already talked with Kalim, you don't have to go if you don't want to."

Lev left a little offended. "Don't worry, I can do it! It's about time I stepped up and did a little working out anyway."

Jamil frowned. "This...isn't going to be a 'little workout'."

Lev smiled. "I'll be fine. Trust me. I'm not weak."

"I-I never said you were," Jamil stuttered. 

"Yeah, yeah. Let's just go," Lev said, quickly walking towards the other students. 

Jamil's frown deepened. "Yeah...let's go..."

====Time Skip====

As the large group of students was walking in the Oasis, Lev studied Kalim, who was standing atop a giant Elephant. He led the students forward, shouting threats and mocking them at every chance he got.

Lev recalled what Leona and Riddle had told her. Kalim wouldn't hurt anything or anyone willingly.

That can't be him. Something isn't right.

"Hey, Lev, stop spacing out," Grim said, tapping her leg. 

"Oh, sorry," Lev muttered. Now snapped out of her thoughts, she realized just how hot she was. The heat of the desert clung to her skin and seemed to get hotter with every step she took. 

Goodness, I hope this is all over soon.

As if on cue, Kalim shouted: "Halt!"

"D-did we make it?" Grim gasped, his fur sticky with sweat.

Jamil turned to the group as Kalim slid down off the elephant. "We'll take a fifteen minute break here then begin our march back to the dorm."

Grim looked around. "Where's the water? Isn't this place supposed to be an oasis?"

"Water...water," Kalim muttered. "Do you want water?"

"Well, duh!" Grim exclaimed. "My throat is mummified."

The scary, commanding expression on Kalim's face disappeared, replaced by his usual happy self. "Don't worry! I'll get you some perfectly cool and delicious water to drink!" The dorm leader ran forward to a large pit of sand which Lev guessed was once the oasis. He held up his hands high above his head and chanted, "Relaxing on the hot sands, an endless party. Sing! Dance! Oasis Maker!"