Off To A Good Start (Kinda?)

Episode 1: Chapter 2

========

After calming down from the sudden surprise, Lev, Grim, and Ace sat down in the old lounge. Lev quickly made some hot chocolate to hopefully calm Ace down. He hadn't said anything besides his deceleration to abandon his old dorm, and Lev had a sinking feeling that it had something to do with the odd collar around his neck.

She walked into the lounge and handed one of the steaming mugs to Ace and another to Grim.

"Thanks," Ace growled, sipping the hot liquid.

Grim licked the warm chocolate a few times before studying the collar around Ace's neck.

"Hey, Lev, isn't that the same collar that the red-haired upperclassmen put on me during the Entrance Ceremony?" he asked, licking his fuzzy mouth.

"I think so," Lev said. "But why do you have one, Ace?"

The redhead glared at the ground. "I ate a tart."

Lev blinked. "Seriously? Just that?"

"Yup," Ace nodded. "Just that! I was hungry when I got back to the dorm so I checked the fridge and there were tarts chilling inside. Three whole tarts! So, I ate one. But, I was caught by the dorm leader, and he punished me by locking away my magic with this collar!" He took a large gulp of hot chocolate, hissing when he burned his tongue

Lev didn't say anything, instead sipping her hot chocolate quietly. She looked at Grim expectantly.

Grim sighed. "Sorry to say, but I think you're both to blame."

Ace clutched his mug angrily. "C'mon! Isn't stealing my magic for stealing a bit of tart going too far?! For a wizard it's like having your arms and legs chained up. And there were three whole tarts! There's no way he can eat them by himself!" 

Lev tapped her mug in thought. "I suppose, however, the tart wasn't yours. They might've been for something important!"

"Yeah," Grim agreed. "Three whole tarts could've been for some sort of party."

A crease appeared between Ace's eyebrows. "Party?"

"Well, eating a treat made specially for a party would explain your dorm leader's anger," Lev said.

Ace turned his glare to Lev. "Ugh, I totally though you'd say he was being tyrannical."

"It's your fault for stealing the tart in the first place," Grim pointed out.

Lev nodded. "I agree with both of you. Locking up someone's magic is so not cool. However, you aren't totally innocent, Ace. If you didn't steal a tart none of this would've happened. You should apologize, ASAP. Who knows, he might forgive you."

"Grudges over food are the worst," Grim grumbled, gulping down his drink. "Trust me."

Ace sighed. "Fine. Whatever. I just have to apologize, right?"

"Hopefully," Lev said, swishing the liquid around inside of her cup.

"Okay, but you're coming with me," Ace decided, tipping his head back as he downed the rest of his hot chocolate, wincing a bit.

"Eh?!" Lev choked, inhaling a small sip of hot liquid. "Why me?"

"It was your idea," Ace explained. "I want someone to blame if something goes wrong."

"Ugh, whatever," Lev groaned. She grabbed Grim's now-empty mug and stood up. "You sound like my brothers."

"Great!" Ace grinned. "But, uh, where should I sleep for tonight?"