Not Worthless

Episode 5: Chapter ----

=============

Later that evening, Lev was cleaning up the kitchen, thinking about the new knowledge she had recently acquired. 

When the students returned from their break and final rehearsal for the day, Epel and Deuce explained to her exactly why they had spoken out earlier in the day. Lev understood of course and told them to not worry about it and just do their best. They seemed to be in much higher spirits, so she was a bit relieved at that. In fact, everyone seemed to be in a better mood, save for their leaders. 

Lev and Vil didn't so much as look at each other. Vil tried to approach her several times, but Lev merely brushed him off. She wasn't interested in his words, may they be an apology or not.

Needing something to do to keep her mind off the day's events, she insisted to Jamil that she was going to clean up dinner alone, a task they usually shared.

He seemed a little concerned, but recognized her need to be alone and agreed.

She loaded her arms up with the dirty dishes. She walked towards the sink to wash them, and out of the corner of her eyes she caught Vil entering the room. His expression seemed much less composed then his usual unfailing calmness. However, she ignored him and continued carrying the dishes and dumped them into the water-filled sink. 

"Lev," Vil started, "can we talk?"

She didn't reply. Instead she passive-aggressively grabbed a soapy sponge and start scrubbing at the dishes.

"Lev," Vil repeated. "Please? Can we talk about it?"

"There's nothing to talk about," she replied coldly, placing a now-clean plate onto a drying rack firmly.

She heard him sigh tiredly and was surprised was he walked to her and grabbed her arm.

"Please," he begged, "let's talk about it."

She glared at him harshly, causing him to pause in surprise.

"I told you," she said slowly. "There's nothing to talk about." She yanked her arm away and turned back to her work.

"Lev--" 

"Don't call me--!" she stopped herself and slammed the sponge into the water. "...Please leave," she said, not bothering to even look at him. "Now."

Vil opened his mouth to respond, but decided against it. He quickly turned and walked out of the kitchen, his heels clicking against the old tile. 

Once he left, Lev could feel tears start flowing down her cheeks again. Her heart felt the pain of his insults like he had just shouted them to her face. Her guilt, pain, and loneliness crashed into her like a tsunami. She clutched a plate in her hands as she watched her tears gently fall into the soapy water.

"Lev?"

Lev flinched and turned to the sound of Jamil's voice. His stood at the entrance, his face etched with worry.

"Are you okay?"

Lev took a quick breath and tried to say 'I'm fine', but the words caught in her throat and she choked. The plate slipped from her wet hands and crashed on the floor, shattering into a dozen pieces. She burst out into tears. 

Jamil quickly rushed over to her and embraced her, guiding her down as her legs gave out and she fell to the floor. Lev buried her face into Jamil's jacket and held onto him tightly. He rocked her gently and ran his fingers through her hair in a hopefully calming manner. They sat in silence aside from the sound of Lev's sobs.