The Vocal & Dance Championship

Episode 5: Chapter 2~3

===========

Later that day, Crowley sent out a mass-text to all the Dorm Heads to come for a special meeting. Being the punctual students that they are (aside from Kalim and Leona who had to have their vice dorm heads literally drag them to the meeting), they all made it pretty much on time. Malleus was the only one who wasn't there, and Lilia seemed to be taking his place, telling them all that he had no idea where Malleus was.

"Is everyone here?" Crowley finally asked, surveying the students. "It seems so. Very well, let's begin. As you all know, preparations for the National Magic School Joint Culture Festival have been well under way for the past two months. Mr. Rosehearts, could you please give us your status update as the leader of the executive committee?"

"Of course, Headmaster." Riddle stood up from his seat. "Idia, could you please?"

Idia's tablet muttered a 'sure' and floated to the center of the large table they were all seated around. It flashed a light in the air and several projected images of documents and statistics appeared, one of which were applications.

"As you all can see, we are in the middle of accepting applications for the presentations and performances from other schools," Riddle reported. "The due date for any who wish to sell food, drinks, or handmade crafts at a booth has already passed, so make sure your students are aware of that. As for the structure of the festival, the plan is to set up three separate stages around campus. Red in the courtyard, blue in the gymnasium, and the largest, purple, in the coliseum. Since announcing the stages, we've receive applications from international media outlets as well but..." His expression drooped.

 Lev frowned. "Is something wrong, Riddle?"

"No," Riddle sighed. "It's just that the Vocal and Dance Championship is scheduled to take place on the purple stage and it has quite the flood of applications for outside media outlets. Sorting through all of them has been a bit of a pain."

Vocal and Dance Championship? Sounds exhausting.

Azul chuckled. "I'm not surprised. The Vocal and Dance Championship--or VDC for short-- is the most important event for any budding musician, actor, or performer and draws in challengers from all over."

"Really? We've just been calling it the 'music presentation' so I'd been thinking of it more like a simple chorus contest," Riddle said, straightening his cape.

Vil huffed. "Once upon a time, it might've been. However, it is not that now. The VDC has become one of the most promising gateways to success for anyone who aspires to go pro in music."

"Indeed," Azul agreed, peering at Vil over the rim of his glasses. "And I assume that because of your vast knowledge of the subject, you will be one of the ones competing, correct?"

"Of course," Vil replied, brushing his flawless bangs to the side, somehow making them seem even more perfect. "Why do you think the media has been so hyper?"

"Oh...is that so," Riddle muttered, seeming slightly confused on the subject at hand.

"Did you not know, Riddle?" Azul teased. "I would have thought that you'd know already as one of the top students at this school. Are you unaware of Vil's global popularity?" 

Riddle frowned. "Do you have to phrase it like that? Of course I know that Vil works as a celebrity. A pretty influential one too, from what I've heard."

"Aah, speaking of influences," Idia said quietly, his tablet floating back to the spot where he'd be sitting if he actually showed up. "From what I've heard from my group chats...Vil's not the only super-popular young celebrity participating in the VDC...Isn't Neige LeBlanche also gonna appear onstage this year?"

"I do think I remember seeing that name on an application a few days ago," Riddle said. "From what I remember, he's a second year coming to represent Royal Sword Academy." Vil growled at that.

Lilia, on the other hand, seemed quite intrigued. "Ah, yes. Neige is currently the number one actor, known for his adorable face and naive personality. You can't go a day without seeing his face all over the internet and TV nowadays."

Sooooo...like Kalim. But famous.

"The two most popular talents in the world will take to the stage for the Vocal and Dance Championship," Crowley said loudly, standing up from his seat. "I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say this is going to be the most watched VDC in history. Mr. Rosehearts, please be prepared for any and all trouble that may arise during the event. I'm sure Miss Route would be happy to assist you in whatever you might be in need of."

Lev's brow furrowed. She didn't remember ever agreeing to that. "Say what now?"

"There's no need to throw Leviline under the bus, Headmaster," Riddle said, his tone carrying the slightest hint of annoyance. "I can handle everything."

"Good! Good!" the headmaster chirped. "Well then, that brings our dorm head meeting to a close. Please make sure to keep up your preparations until the big day!"

"Yes, Headmaster," most of the dorm leader replied. They all stood up and began to walk out.

Looking beside her, Lev noticed a sour expression on Vil's otherwise perfect face.

"Hey, Vil," she said, walking up to him, "is something wrong?"

Vil blinked in surprise and his face relaxed somewhat. "No. Why would you say that?"

"You just looked a little...perplexed there," she told him, smiling comfortingly. "If you have any troubles, please don't be afraid to talk to me, okay?"

Vil studied her curiously. "Of course. Thank you, Miss Leviline. Good day." He quickly strode out of the room.

Kalim skipped up to her. "What was that all about?" he asked cheerfully.

Lev shrugged. "Probably nothing." An idea popped into her head. "Say, Kalim, you don't have any homework or anything, do you?"

"No, why?"

She leaned in close to his ear. "Ruggie texted me Leona's new favorite napping spot yesterday, and it just so happens to be right in front of my dorm. Wanna help me throw him a little 'welcoming surprise'?"

Kalim grinned. "Surprise?! Do you need to ask?!" 

Lev smirked mischievously. "Great. Ace, Deuce, and I already planned the whole thing out. Now, we just need about 200 water balloons. Can we use your 'Oasis Maker' to help with that?" 

"I don't really understand where you're going with this but okay!"

"Yes! You're my new favorite person, Kalim."