Chapter Thirty-Two

Ricky Bowen

"What the hell could you possibly want to tell me now? Let me guess you blackmailed Miss Jenn into getting my part in the musical or  something else that is stupid." I said as I walked into the diner and saw E.J sitting at a booth with two milkshakes and two hamburgers.

"That's not why I invited you to dinner and no I didn't do that. Stop making assumptions Bowen or I'll actually think about doing that." E.J said as his voice cracked while I slid into the booth across from him.

"Why am I here then? And are those for me? I'm starving." I said while pointing to the burger and milkshake on the table.

"Meal is on me. Think of it as my apology to you. You know I'm bad at saying sorry for all the dumb things I've done. Anyways, I'm here to be your personal matchmaker since you can't make a move Bowen." E.J said while sipping on his milkshake.

"You are my what?!" I replied while taking a bite of my burger and talking with my mouthful.

"I'm here to tell you that Isabella has a crush on you and is waiting for you to make a move or at least get over Nini. You idiot. Haven't you figured it out? She adores you and even forgives you for all the dumb stuff you did." E.J said to me while reaching over to nudge me in the shoulder.

"What are you talking about? First Big Red and now you. Bella and I are just friends. I love Nini and I'm giving her some space to think. I didn't cheat on her. You blackmailed her." I said while defending myself and looking at him.

"See there you go again calling her 'Bella'. I've seen the way you look at her. It's like magic chemistry. You two are meant to be together. Nini is your childhood best friend and she seems to be having a great time and finding herself at YAC." E.J said while shoving his phone across the table to show me a new Instagram post from Nini.

NiniSR: Guess who got the role of Sandy in YAC's production of Grease? This girl! New year. New me. Nini 3.0? Nothing's going to stop me. No boys, no crazy drama teachers, no chemistry class.

"Just because she posted on Instagram doesn't mean she's  happy

"Just because she posted on Instagram doesn't mean she's  happy. There's a reason why I don't use social media that much.. Nini is probably heartbroken after seeing those pictures that you blackmailed her. She hasn't even texted me back in weeks and I know that it hurt her. I'm not using Bella as a rebound girl again." I said as I wiped my mouth on a napkin.

"It's been almost a month since the dance. You have to admit it. Nini is happy. She found herself and her place at YAC. I've texted her a few times before and she seems to love it there. I mean transferring to a school is always tough at first. Gina used to tell me about all of her ex-friends from schools. All you talk about is Bella now. I've seen you mumble her name at rehearsal. You are obsessed with her." E.J replied to me while drinking his milkshake.

"I don't have a crush on Bella. Get over your little daydream Caswell. Thanks for the dinner though." I replied while taking out my wallet to pay him back.

"I think that you need to talk to Nini about how she feels. I mean you have been best friends with her and dated her. Clear some things up. I'm pretty sure you have a crush on Isabella. I think everyone at school knows that by now."E.J said while shoving the money I put on the table back at me.

"Are you taking drugs or something? Where is all this coming from? Is there a good and bad side of E.J Caswell?" I replied while staring at him confused.

"Hahah. I'm not taking drugs. I guess my attitude changed since I broke up with Gina. I kind of found myself too, if you know what I mean." E.J replied as my phone started ringing with the ringtone 'Best of Both Worlds' from Hannah Montana.

"Who's that? Do they have some weird obsession with Hannah Montana or something?" E.J said while laughing at me as I glanced at my phone screen to see Bella's contact.

"It's Bella. I have  to take this. She has some obsession with old Disney songs its my ringtone for her." I said as I excused myself from the table.

When I got to a small private space by the bathrooms, I finally answered her call before my phone stopped ringing.

"Ricky, I need help. My car broke down while I was driving home and I don't know what's wrong nor do I have money to pay for it. This car was given to me my my dad and I need to keep it in good shape. And I was going to call someone else but you have a car and are probably at the diner near me. I need help. I don't know what to do and I need a way to get to work and school tomorrow. I don't know what I'm going to do." Bella started rambling as I heard her cry on the other line and panic.

"Hold on tight. I'll be there as soon as I can. Text me your location." I replied to her as I ran out the door to my car.