Chapter One

Isabella Johnson

I'm going down, and you have watched me drown
In a river of tears, lost beneath the stream
Under the waves, I've found the strength to say
The river of tears has washed me clean
Go 'head and wish me well
I'll cry a wishing well
I'll fly before I fail
I'll set sail and drift away
So I won't need you here
Love sinks and hope floats
In a river of tears
In a river of tears
(Cred to Alesia Cara)

"Izzy time to wake up! You have to drive your stepsisters to school today." My stepmother Anne yelled from down the hall waking me up from a my dream about becoming a songwriter. She always woke me up at 6:00am sharp, way before school even started.

"Don't call me Izzy only my dad would have if he was alive. Why can't Rachel and Renee take the bus like normal high school students?!" I yelled as I opened my door.

"Because it is full of germs and besides you own that piece of scrap your dad left you." Anne said walking into my room holding a list of chores.

"Ughh fine. I should get up anyway." I mumbled to myself.

"What did you say young lady?" Anne yelled as she stood right in front of me.

"Nothing."

"Anyway, after school I need you to run me some errands. The most important things are highlighted on the list. I need you to get my robe from the dry cleaners and I need a half frap mocha from Starbucks, for my second boost of energy. Don't forget to remind your sisters to go to that announcement about the spring musical, they want to be famous." Anne said rambling on and on while sipping her first half frap mocha of the day.

"Please leave so that I can get changed." I replied while taking the list.

"Don't forget that your father married me! He's counting on you from heaven to do the best for me." Anne said as she left my room. My room was practically the attic although it looked like a bedroom.

I changed into a red East High shirt and some old jeans, then I put on my dad's old trucker hat that he gave me in the hospital. I never really ate breakfast; I grabbed an apple lying in a bowl on the counter anyway. As I waited for my annoying stepsisters to get in the car, my gay best friend Brandon texted me.

Brandon The Best: I heard a rumor from a guy in improv club that they are announcing the spring musical at today's assembly. Please audition with me?????????? Xxxxx B

Call me Bella not Izzy: I can't do after school activities. I have a list of chores to do for my stepmom every day. Today its dry cleaning and coffee runs.

Brandon The Best: :/ She's a witch, and a monster. Bells you have an amazing voice I've heard you sing.  You can still come watch me audition. I'm going for the lead role. Maybe Beast or Gaston if it's Beauty and the Beast or Danny in Grease.Who knows maybe that hot senior E.J Caswell will be there.

Call me Bella not Izzy: I'll be cheering you on! Stop daydreaming about that Caswell guy, besides he's not bi. I've heard rumors that he's a troublemaker and player.

Brandon the Best: Says the girl who has never talked to a guy in her life except for meeeeeee.

Call me Bella not Izzy: G2g driving the monster's daughters to school.

When I got to school, I had to park in one of the junior parking spots, which was farther away from the building. I always hated it and wished that I could be like the famous E.J Caswell who had a senior parking space right in front of the school.

"Izzy, why'd you park so far away from the building! I need to check my makeup before class." Renee whined from the backseat as I got out.

"Because I don't have senior priority. Suck it up buttercup." I replied to her popping my P.

"I'm telling mom that you are bullying Renee." Rachel said as she trailed behind me.

"Whatever." I mumbled to no one in particular.

After a long ten minute walk to the front of the school, we walked into the school doors and parted our ways. I saw Brandon staring at his phone by my locker and went to go greet him.

"Hey B. What's the tea today?" I said while opening my locker.

"Rumors are going around about the spring musical. Someone said its Grease on Facebook and someone I follow on Insta thinks it's a Disney Production." Brandon said while staring off at E.J Caswell's locker which was behind mine.

"I don't really get what the hype is about musicals. Stop staring at E.J, you know he's straight and is dating that Gina girl." I said taking my Calculus textbook out.

"It's a big deal around here, especially since the iconic High School Musical was shot here 10 years ago." Brandon said as he walked down the hall with me.

"I'll see you at the assembly Bells. Save a seat for me. I might get caught up looking for Caswell." Brandon winked at me as we parted our ways to different classrooms.