Chapter Thirty-Nine

Isabella Johnson

Thankfully, on Sunday afternoon, I had gotten my car back and it was as good as it was before. This meant that I wouldn't have to ask Ricky for rides to work anymore.

I was honestly kind of sad that our time together had ended but I was still hurt about what he did to me. I still felt like a rebound girl instead of someone else.

As I got out of my car that I parked in the junior parking lot, I saw Brandon walk up to me excitedly.

I wonder if his date went well or if he had more E.J tea? I thought to myself.

"Hey Bells, guess who's OTP has come true?" Brandon said as he walked to my locker with me.

"What are you talking about?" I replied to him as I opened my locker.

"Haven't you seen this week's issue of East High Weekly News?" Brandon said excitedly as he showed me his phone screen.

There was a picture of me getting out of Ricky's car this weekend. Someone was there that afternoon and must have seen me get out of his car.

How is this even possible?! Did E.J take these photos?

"I don't look at that app anymore

"I don't look at that app anymore. What? How did someone get pictures of me in the school news. I need to talk to Ricky about this. This is story is a misunderstanding. Ricky drove me to work because my car broke down on Thursday and he offered to pay for it to be fixed. It was just a one time thing." I replied as I shoved the phone back at him.

"So you aren't dating Ricky Bowen?" Brandon said while following me down the hall.

"No. Please leave me alone B. I'm going to class early to avoid the drama." I replied ignoring my best friend who was obsessed with the idea of Ricky and I together even though Ricky liked Nini.

During lunch time, I had to stand in line for food since I forgot to pack my lunch. I got so many stares from random students who I didn't even know. I was going to sit in Brandon and I's special spot today since he knew not to bother me today after seeing the news.

As I was walking out of the lunch room with my tray, I bumped into someone.

That someone was Ricky Bowen who was talking to his best friend Big Red. I ignored him and picked up the boxlunch that had dropped on the floor and ran out to my secret spot since it was beginning to be springtime.

When I finally got to my secret spot, I leaned against the oak tree in relief and faced the opposite direction so that I could face away from the school. I didn't want to be found,  after that news article had been published.

I decided to eat my lunch and work on a song that I had started writing last night.

 Hopefully, nobody would find me here. I want to be alone until the dram dies down.

I wrote down lyrics in my notebook while humming to myself. Hopefully, it wasn't too noticeable.

  Make my way through the motions
I try to ignore it
But home's looking farther
The closer I get
Don't know why
I can't see the end
Is it over yet?

A short leash
And a short fuse don't match
They tell me it ain't that bad
Now don't you overreact
So I just hold my breath
Don't know why
I can't see the sun
When young should be fun (fun)

And I guess the bad
Can get better
Gotta be wrong
Before it's right
Every happy phrase
Engraved in my mind
And I've always been a go-getter
There's truth
In every word I write
But still the growing pains, growing pains
They're keeping me up at night

Eh eh, hey yeah, yeah, yeah...
And I can't hide, 'cause growing pains are keeping me up at night
Eh eh, hey yeah, yeah, yeah...
And I can't hide, 'cause growing pains are keeping me up at night..... (Cred to Alessia Cara)

"That was amazing Bells. One of your best songs yet. Please forgive me for being too excited this morning. I didn't mean to assume something that wasn't true. I just really like the idea of you and Ricky together." Brandon said sitting next to me scaring me.

"You heard me humming? Geez. I didn't think I was that loud. Don't scare me like that again. I forgive you B. Can we please not talk about Ricky? How was your date the other night? We still have ten minutes till the bell rings." I replied to him leaning on his shoulder closing my notebook.