Chapter Nine

Author's Note: This is just a filler chapter. More drama to come later.

*************

Isabella Johnson

I had to find Miss Jenn and tell her that I couldn't o the musical because my crazy stepmother Anne sent me a list of weekend chores. So basically, I don't have a single day out of the whole week free. I don't really mind though because most of my life is already school and work.

I found Miss Jenn's makeshift office that she shared with the guidance counselor and knocked twice in case someone else was already talking to her. She opened the door with a bright smile and let me in. There was one folding chair by her desk, and she invited me to have a seat.

"Ah my Belle. I am so happy to see you. I wanted to talk to you about script changes ASAP." The perky blonde woman said to me.

"Actually, I wanted to talk to you about resigning as Belle. I can't do it so Gina should have the role. I'm busy after school anyway." I said as I bit my nails nervously.

"But you're perfect for the role; and I love your voice."

"Why did you even put me on the cast list? I didn't even audition. Didn't you understand it when I said it to everyone?"

"Because when you know, you know." Miss Jenn said as she clapped her hands.

My phone started ringing and I looked down at the contact it was my boss Leann. I was already 15 minutes late for work shoot!

"I got to go to work. Nice meeting you Miss Jenn. Please give Gina the role. I don't deserve it or want it." I said as I grabbed my backpack and walked out the door.

When I got to the roller-skating rink, I put my uniform on and sat down to tie my skates. Leann walked up to me and sat next to me on the bench.

"Hey girlie, I got you covered. Jack covered your shift a few minutes ago. You deserve a break. You've worked every day this week double shift. Go have some fun and call that friend Brandon of yours or use the free skating coupon." Leann said as she bumped my shoulder.

"I have to work today. I have to earn enough money so that I can move out of this boring old state of Utah for college." I said as I double tied my skates.

"You deserve a break. Don't worry about it. I won't tell anyone, but I got your tips from today in a jar." Leann said as she walked away.

Well great. What am I going to do? Brandon is out celebrating with his LGBTQ friends and I don't want to start Anne's chores right now.

"Hey you are, Isabella, right?" A curly haired ginger girl skated up to me.

"Yeah I am. Do I know you?"

"Oh, I'm Ashlyn. I was at the auditions for the musical earlier. My cousin is E.J Caswell. I wanted to ask you if you wanted to skate with my friends and I. I'm on the Utah State Roller Derby team but we can go slow if you want." Ashlyn said as I remembered that she played the teacher in the fall musical.

"I guess I can skate for a little while. I don't have to work today." I said as I got up holding the railing by me.

As Ashlyn led me to the edge of the skate floor, she started to make small talk with me.

Maybe she wasn't going to one of those geeky theatre kids after all.

"So what grade are you in? I haven't seen you in any of my classes." Ashlyn said skating at my pace.

"I'm a junior. I'm in honors and AP classes by the way." I replied as I began to skate faster.

"That's cool. My cousin E.J takes a few AP classes. So, I saw that you're Belle on the cast list. Congratulations. It's kind of a big deal since my friend Nini transferred." Ashlyn sighed.

"You're the second or third person who has said that in the last two hours. Sorry to burst your bubble but I will not be playing Belle, Gina will be." I said as Ashlyn stopped skating.

"Wait why not? Your voice is incredible. It's even better than mine. I can't even sing as good as Sara Barelleis." Ashlyn said as she started skating again towards a group of girls.

"I work here after school, and I don't do musicals."

"You are missing out on a big opportunity. Come on let me introduce you to the Utah State Roller Derby team." Ashlyn replied a little to cheerfully.

I talked with the girls and skated with them for a little bit until my legs got tired. I nudged Ashlyn and whispered to her that I was going to take break by the bench, so I don't look like a wimp in front of the other girls.

When I got to the bench, I took my skates off and noticed more blisters on the bottom of my feet and by my heels. No biggie. It happens all the time.

 I can just bandage them later.

When I got my bag from the staff lounge my phone started ringing loudly with Brandon's ringtone, Ben Platt's "Share Your Address."

How embarrassing though.

He insisted on putting it on my phone because it's a gay thing and I would know it's him.

"Hey B what's up? I'm at the rink."

"I have E.J tea. And since when did you quit the musical, and you didn't even tell your best friend. I'm hurt. Meet me at the diner at 7."

"Ok B. And E.J is straight I can confirm it. See ya." I said as I hung up.