Chapter Thirty-Four

Ricky Bowen

Why did I kiss Bella when I said we're just friends?

 Ugh. I just ruined everything I had with her. Nini is probably happy at YAC but I still haven't talked to her, I thought to myself as I was driving to Bella's house to pick her up for school.

"Hey Bella, How was your morning? I'm sorry about last night by the way I guess I was missing Ni.. I mean her." I said to her as I opened my car door for her.

"Oh. It's ok. My morning was okay. I had to do my step mom's laundry. It wasn't pretty. Thanks for the ride." Bella said to me as she slid into the passenger seat with a frown.

"Oh. That doesn't sound fun. I brought you breakfast. I hope it makes your day better." I replied as I pulled out a brown bag from my backpack that had a bagel and grapes in it.

"Oh Ricky you didn't have to do this for me. Thanks. I usually don't eat breakfast but I'm starving." Bella replied while taking the bagel and taking a bite.

"No problem. So, I have some good and bad news about your car..." I tried to slip in the conversation without upsetting her as I started my car.

"Oh." Bella stopped eating and said while I was driving to school.

"My dad picked your car up and took it to his friends' shop the other night. So good news is he can fix it, bad news is that its not going to be done till Sunday night." I said while biting my lip and focusing on the road.

"Oh. I guess I'll just have to ask Brandon for a ride to work this weekend. I can pay you back too." Bella replied as she took out the fruit to take a bite.

She must have been really hungry. She's also really cute when she tries to be polite but her mouth is full. I don't know maybe its the way her hair is glowing in the morning sun.

Damn it. What about Nini?

"Oh don't worry about looking for a ride or paying me back. I can drive you to work this weekend. My dad is taking up extra work shifts and I have nothing else to do. And I owe you after you know what." I replied to her while taking a quick glance at her at a red light.

"Oh that's too much Ricky. Thank you so much for doing this. I'm sorry for being a burden." Bella replied while looking down at her lap.

"Hey, you are not a burden at all. I'm here for you and I'll do whatever I can to gain back your trust. I think your a really strong girl and deserve to be happy. I'll do whatever I can to make you happy. Don't you dare think of yourself like that. Your beautiful and so hard working. Let's go to first period together before we're late." I said to her as I parked the car in one of the student lots.

"Oh wow. That was a quick ride. Thanks again Ricky. So have you been reading the book for class?" She playfully said to me as I helped her out of the car.

"Yeah, I actually have been, thanks to you." I winked at her as we walked into school side by side.

"Omg. Ricky Bowen likes books now." Bella fake gasped as we stopped by her locker to get her books.

"I got to admit that Huckleberry Finn book was kind of boring though..." I said as we headed to my locker.

"Ok. Fine classics are a little boring but I like Romeo and Juliet." Bella replied as she followed me to my locker.

"Oh hey guys. I was wondering if you were going to be late or something. Did you guys ride together this morning? You didn't reply when I asked you if you wanted to skate to school this morning." I heard Big Red say from down the hall.

Before I could reply the morning messages started and I heard Carlos voice boom from the intercom. He was singing 'What Time is it?" from High School Musical 2 on the speakers.

What time is it?
Summertime is finally here
Let's celebrate

Wanna hear you loud and clear now

School's out
We can sleep as late as we want to
It's our time
Now we can do whatever we wanna do

What time is it?

It's party time
Let's go have the time of our lives

"Carlos, I hate to break it to you, but it's not summer break and I have to do morning announcements. Go find Seb or something." I heard Ashlyn argue with him on the speaker phone above which made Bella and I laugh.

"Why is this school so obsessed with High School Musical anyway? The movie was shot here like a decade ago." Bella said as we walked down the hall with Big Red in tow laughing about Carlos' morning announcement.