Chapter Eight

Ricky Bowen

"Congrats Ricky, you totally deserve it." Big Red came over and put his arms over my shoulders.

"I'm going to go call Nini and tell her."  I excused myself down the hall.

As I was walking down the hall, I saw Isabella by her locker on the phone. If I read the cast list correctly, she is going to play Belle. She doesn't even like musicals. I remembered that because Big Red told me that she refused to buy a ticket from him last year for our production of High School Musical.

"Oh hey. You are Isabella. I saw you last night. Sorry I couldn't remember that you were in my class. My mind has drifted elsewhere since my girlfriend Nini transferred to another school." I rambled to her as she hung up on the phone call.

"Yeah. I got to go to Miss Jenn's office." She replied as she walked away.

"I'll see you at the table read on Monday." I called to her.

She turned around and I looked into her brown eyes as she replied to me,

"No, you won't. Gina Porter is playing Belle. I am not doing a musical. I didn't even audition." She said as she walked away.

Well that just happened.

I walked over to the student lounge, which was empty because everyone was gossiping about the cast list being posted and sat down on one of the couches. I had to tell Nini ASAP. I immediately got my cell phone out and tapped on her contact.

"Hello? Oh, Hey Ricky." Nini said through the phone as music was blaring in the background.

"Hey, do you have a moment? I have some exciting news. I miss you." I said loudly because her music was too loud.

"What's up?" She replied over the music playing in the background.

"I got the part as Beast in the musical. I'll send you a ticket as soon as the ticket booth opens. I really miss you Nini." I said through the phone.

"I'd love that!" Nini shouted over the music."

"Nini are you at a party?" I asked curiously.

"What makes you think that?"

"The music in the background is playing loudly. Is that Ed Sheeran's "Castle on the Hill" playing in the background?"

"Oh. I'm at my friend Luke's cabaret. I stepped out when you called me." She replied.

"Oh."

 She's with another guy? It's been less than a week.

"Ricky are you still there?"

"Mhm." I mumbled.

"Luke is just a friend I met at orientation. Ricky, don't worry. I still love you forever and always. I promise you I'll come see the musical." Nini said happily.

"I better let you get back to the concert. I gotta go too my dad is calling me. He's probably here to pick me up. I love you Nini. I miss you so much." I said as I wiped a tear from my eye. I didn't even realize I was crying.

I got up and walked out of the student lounge.

 Nini already made a guy friend?

Wow.

"Hey, Ricky, did you hear that Isabella girl just dropped her role as Belle, Gina's Belle now. You better not do any funny business with my girlfriend on stage." E.J said as he patted my back in the hall.

"Gina's all yours. And I already heard. Isabella told me. I'll see you on Monday E.J. I guess we're the male leads again this year." I said walking away.

When I got home I put in my earbuds and listened to Nini's spotify playlist. The first song that came up was "Royals" By Lorde., another one of her favorite artists. A second later my phone vibrated. I saw that there was one new Instagram post from NiniSR.

 I saw that there was one new Instagram post from NiniSR

NiniSR: Went to see my first YAC cabaret. Congrats on the show to the Cabaret. Tagged YACabaretguys

Three new comments

@makeupbyKourt Call me ASAP 🤔

@Carloslovesseb Is one of them gay? 🏳️‍🌈

@Sebloveslos Carlos! I can see the comments section :( I'm hurt. 😭

Well great. I said to myself. They are all more attractive than me and their are four of them!