Chapter Forty-Five

Isabella Johnson

"Isabella, why are you working on a Saturday past 5? I told you that you work too hard. Give yourself a break sweetie. I'll save some of the tips for you. I know that you are saving up." I heard my boss Leann say to me as she skated towards a table I was cleaning off.

"I need to work to save money for college." I said hiding my face with the hat I was wearing to hide my tear stained face.

Why was I crying over Ricky? He's just some boy who doesn't know who he loves.

"What's wrong sweetie? Your eyes are all red and puffy." Leann said as she took the rag out of my hand an sat down at the table with me.

"It's just school stuff." I said as we sat down.

"What's going on? Bullies? Boys? Grades? I'm here to listen." My boss said as she looked at me.

"It's just that I like this boy but he used me as a rebound twice because his girlfriend or ex-girlfriend transferred to another school. He doesn't know who he loves. We had a few good moments together but I overheard him talking to his ex the other day and he said he still has feelings for her. Now I feel like a rebound girl again and I'm just clueless." I said as I took my hat off.

"Ah boy trouble. I had a lot of that when I was in high school. I'm sorry about that sweetie. I don't know him and I don't know what to tell you. Go get your stuff, I'll clean the rest of this table. Here's a free coupon for the Bowling Alley down the block. Bowling always helps me get my mind off of things." Leann said as she handed me a free coupon for Bowling.

After changing out of my roller skates, I decided to text Brandon to see if he wanted to go Bowling with me. I guess I'd give my boss's advice a shot. Bowling ain't ever hurt anybody's feelings.

Call me Bella not Izzy: Hey you up for Bowling? My boss let me off work early and gave me a free bowling ticket.

Brandon the Best: Sure! Meet you there in half an hour. Got to change my outfit.

I rolled my eyes at his text and put my phone away so that I could walk to the bowling alley that was five minutes away.

After waiting at the lobby of the bowling alley for 25 minutes, Brandon finally showed up wearing a leather jacket and jeans. I don't know if he would need a leather jacket to bowl but I'm certainly glad that he's here.

"My boss said that bowling always helps her get things off of her mind. I hope this works" I said as Brandon and I sat down to tie our bowling shoes.

Brandon gave me a look, but didn't say anything since he knew that the topic of Ricky would make me upset.

"I'm sure it will help you get your mind off of things because I am going to beat you at bowling." Brandon said as he selected a 8 pound ball from a rack.

"Oh you are on B. I'm the queen of bowling. I may be a bit rusty but I know how to get a strike." I said as I selected a pink ball.

After I made my first strike and playfully stuck my tongue out at Brandon, one of our favorite songs from the Disney Channel Original Movie, Zombies, came on and we started lip syncing to the song. People were staring at us but we didn't care. We kept bowling and dancing to the song.

Listen up, it's not so tough
I'll tell you how it's done
There's really nothing better
Than to hear you're number one
And I know how to get a crowd
Right up and on their feet
So if you want them in it
I'll show you how to get it

I sang as I made another strike.

Ain't no mountain we can't climb
Nothing keeps us down
Got that fire in our soul
Never count us out
We got one thing on our minds
Call it victory
Yeah, that's where we're headed
And we know how to get it

I heard Brandon sing as he pouted since he only got a spare.

We were made for this
There's nothing we can't do
We came to play
We're here to stay and win the day
'Cause we were made for this
Didn't come here to lose
We came to play, we're here to stay
What's left to say when we know

I lip synced the rest of the song as we laughed together.

 I guess  that bowling really does take your mind off of things.