Chapter Fifty

Ricky Bowen

Big Red and I were skating to my second home, well not home but to his house. We were going to have a much needed video game night.

 I don't remember when the last time we played COD 3 together was.

The musical has been taking up basically all of our after school time this semester.

"Where were you during lunch? You never skip lunch." Big Red said to me as we skated together.

"I was rehearsing for the musical." I said biting my lip nervously since I didn't want him to ask anymore questions about my absence at lunch today.

"But, we had rehearsals this afternoon. You should've been at lunch, E.J was telling us this funny and gross story about how he hurt himself while accepting a bet at some party last year." Big Red said while laughing to himself.

"I needed more help with the falsettos in the 'Evermore' scene Miss Jenn added from the live action movie." I replied as we continued to skate to his house.

"I don't even know why Miss Jenn added that song in. It's not even in the animated movie script. I've seen it like a billion times now because Ashlyn's made me watch it for scene studying apparently." Big Red said not noticing how nervous I was getting.

"I don't know why she added it. She's Miss Jenn." I replied as we stopped our skateboards and arrived at Big Red's house.

While Big Red and I were playing our second round of COD and eating Doritos, I decided to shut my controller off and ask him a question I've been meaning to ask for a few weeks.

"Hey why'd you stop playing? I was about to beat you in this round." Big Red said to me as he took a handful of chips and ate them.

"Can I ask you something? It's really important" I said while biting my lip nervously.

"Sure!" Big Red replied while stuffing more chips into his mouth.

"When did you know that you were in love with Ashlyn? Like not a crush but like in love. I know that you have had a crush on her since fifth grade." I replied as I looked around his basement/ room nervously.

"Woah. That's a deep question. Is this about Nini or Bella?" Big Red said as he finally finished chewing.

"Can you please answer the question?"And then I will tell you," I said while getting on my skateboard and skating on his carpet.

"Ok. Well, I knew that I was in love with her when she sang that Sarah Barailles song during  rehearsals for the musical. I mean what's not to love about Ashlyn? She like musical theater, robotics, baking, renaissance fairs, and video games." Big Red said daydreaming about his girlfriend.

"Wow, it's been that long. I'm so happy for you man. I'll be the best man at your Redlyn wedding." I said jokingly.

"Ok, I told you about Ashlyn, now you tell me why you asked me about love? I mean you haven't exactly been in a stable relationship since Valentine's day no offense." Big Red said as he laid on his bed.

"Ok, but you have to promise not to tell anyone what I tell you. I mean this is top secret." I said hoping he would keep the secret.

"I won't tell anyone. Do I have to pinky promise you that?" Big Red said while sitting up knowing that this is serious business.

"No. But I know that you can't keep a secret to save your life. Please don't tell anyone till after the musical." I said to him as kept playing with my skateboard.

"I promise not to tell anyone your big secret until the musical is over. Now what's so important that you can't tell anyone else about it? Not even Nini." Big Red said to me in a serious tone.