Chapter Nineteen

*Friday February 12th*

Isabella Johnson

I walked into the doors of East High and was greeted by a Valentine's Day dance banner and several couples holding.

Ugh I hate this time of the year.

 I went to my locker to grab my books and saw a sticky note on my locker that said:

Meet me after school on the garden rooftop. Your Friend, Gina

This was weird because Gina's nice and all but I have no idea what she wants from me. I'm also so embarrassed about the Ricky incident last night. I shouldn't have invited him over. I shouldn't get too close to people beside Brandon.

The bell was about to ring for first period, American Lit class but I decided to head to B and I's special tree spot. I didn't want to have another Ricky encounter today after last night.

He's got a girlfriend and shouldn't know about my past.

Also, missing one class won't hurt, besides that teacher really likes me.

I sat under the tree in the courtyard shivering a bit, since I only had a light olive-green jacket on. I should've worn more layers since it gets really cold and snowy in Utah. I got out my song book and wrote some lyrics down while biting into an apple that was supposed to be my breakfast two hours ago. I started softly singing my song since no one was around and huddled myself into my jacket. It was really cold in Utah. (play song now.)

Tune in to find my peace and solitude These empty rooms spin, and I embrace the flaws of being human The black and white, and sometimes the greys that stay for days The in-between times, the meantimes that make this song of life sing Play, rest, r...

These empty rooms spin, and I embrace the flaws of being human
The black and white, and sometimes the greys that stay for days
The in-between times, the meantimes that make this song of life sing
Play, rest, repeat, read exactly what is written on the sheet
"Don't deviate, " they say
But I will play what's best for me
I'll press the keys and pull the strings, create a symphony that's mine

And I'll spend my life penning my song, my song
And the verses I write will speak for me
Good girls don't make history
So I may never be what you assume (it's my song)
Don't want your hooks or auto-tune (it's my song)
If I'm off-key then that's alright with me (it's my song)
Oh, and maybe you will learn this when I'm gone (it's my song)
My song will carry on (song cred to amazing Alessia Cara)

After I finished my song and my apple, I got up and went back inside the building to find somewhere warmer to sit. I didn't want to face Ricky Bowen today, so I didn't bother to go to my American Lit class.

Thankfully, by lunch, no one had asked me about first period class. I was invited by Ashlyn to sit at a table that consisted of Gina, Ashlyn, some girl named Natalie and a girl named Kourtney. Ashlyn said she wanted to talk about our Valentine's day dance plans since she was planning most of it.

"So, this is a bit of a stretch since I know that you two don't have dates, so would you guys like to go to the dance as a girl group?" A girl who I recognized as Natalie asked Gina and I since we sat together.

I was munching on my snack and staring at a table full of guys that consisted of Ricky and that Big Red guy. Ricky kept staring at me, but I kept trying to turn away from him.

"Bella, what do you think? I think that we should go as a girl group. It will be a good way to make more friends, and I promise Natalie is a sweetheart too." Gina said nudging my shoulder.

"Please don't mention sweethearts again. Valentine's day is so overrated. And I don't have a dress. I might have work I have to check." I said nervously trying to avoid Ricky Bowen who was staring at me across from the cafeteria.

"Oh, come on, Bella. You can't work on a Sunday. And I got you covered. I was going to show you after school, but I'll tell you now. I bought you one of the dresses from the store we were at before. Kourtney, Ashlyn and I pitched in for it. It was my idea. We felt like you needed a friend and a pretty dress since you didn't own one. It's in my locker since I wanted to show it to you later." Gina said while she made puppy eyes at me.

Damn she's going to plead me to keep a dress that I might not even wear or like.

"Guys, you didn't have to. I really didn't need one anyway. I didn't even get a ticket for the dance before the sale ended." I frowned as I ate my sandwich.

"I got you covered girl." Ashlyn said handing over the tickets across the table.

"Please come. You totally deserve a night off." Natalie said while she was watching a box next to her, which I assumed had her hamster in it.

"Ok. Ok. But you guys are going to have to help me get ready. I don't really do make up and all. I'm more natural and simpler." I said smiling at the girls as they all squeezed me in a group hug.

Wow. So, this is what it's like to have a group of girlfriends who you can trust.

 I pushed the thought of Ricky Bowen to the back of my mind as Ashlyn started talking about how organized she was for the whole dance set up and Gina smiled at me.

"Meet me after school, and we can look at the dress." Gina whispered to me happily.

I sighed and had to admit that this might be kind of fun. Dressing up for one whole night in a dress that might make me feel like a princess. And having some great new friends.