Chapter Four

Author's Note: Play song at end of chapter. This chapter is emotional.

************************

Ricky Bowen

My parents were fighting again. My mom was home from Chicago for a while. Nini wasn't here to comfort me; and I had no place to go.

I decided to call Nini anyway. I needed to hear her voice. She picked up on the first ring.

"Ricky, what's up? I only have a few minutes. My friends and I are going fountain diving. It's a YAC tradition."

"Nothing much. I just wanted to hear your voice." I said lying to her.

"Nini time to go! Pack an extra towel." I heard a guy yell in the background

"I got to go. Bye Ricky. love you!" She said as she hung up.

I laid on my bed and sighed to myself. Even my girlfriend is too busy and already made friends. Instead of sighing some more, I decided to text Big Red to see what he was up to at 7:30 pm on a Friday night.

Rickster: You still got NBA2k?

Big RED: Yeah want to come over? My mom says it's okay.

Before I could reply, I heard my mom march up the stairs as the everyday fight began with my dad. I took that as my cue to leave.

I grabbed my backpack and my skateboard and headed off to Big Red's place

Big Red knew that something was up, but he didn't say anything. He turned on his Xbox and handed me a controller as we sat and played NBA 2k.

"Hey, do you want to sleepover? I can pull out the air mattress if you want?" Big Red said pausing the game.

I had no other choice but to say yes or go sleep in my bedroom where I could hear my parents argue.

"Sure." I nodded as I yawned. I looked at the clock to see that it was 9:45. We've been playing for a while and I haven't eaten dinner yet.

"You got any leftovers? I haven't had dinner yet."

"Sorry. It's only lactose free leftover frozen pizza. You can try it." Big Red replied.

"Nah I think I'll pass."

"Suit yourself. I'm going to the attic to get the air mattress." Big Red said as he walked out of my room.

I decided to scroll through mt Instagram feed to see if there was anything new. The first thing I typed in was Nini's username. Niniukelelegirl but it said the username didn't exist.

I decided to text Gina to see what was up. She probably knew since she was good friends with Nini.

Ricky Bowen: Hey do you know if Nini changed her IG username?

Gina Porter: Yeah, she told me yesterday she changed it to Nini SR because of potential acting opportunities.

Ricky Bowen: Oh, ok thanks. She didn't tell me.

I immediately went back to Instagram and typed her new username in. There was one new post.

Wow! She looked like she was having a great time while I was at Big Red's, moping about my parents.

NiniSR: Officially a YAC lion! tagged: @Hamiltonreyes

One new comment

@HamiltonReyes: Had so much fun tonight! See you in improv class tomorrow :)

"Hey, I found the air mattress." Big Red said as he walked in the door.

"I think I'm gonna go home. Thanks for the offer." I mumbled as I got up off of the bean bag I was sitting on and walked up the stairs.

"But we still have another game to play.." I heard Big Red yell up the stairs.

I decided to go to the skate park. I haven't been here in a while since it's still winter time. As I was skating, I listened to the playlist Nini made for me on spotify.

The first song that came on was one of Nini's favorite, "This is Your Song" by Ronan Keating. I really missed her, and it hasn't even been two weeks.