Chapter Eighteen

Ricky Bowen

I stared at my phone while I waited for Bella's reply. This was so nerve wrecking. Asking a girl to go to a dance with me as friends because Nini couldn't be here.

Ok, so maybe this was Big Red's idea. He told me that I shouldn't miss out on school activities just because Nini's not here. He was kind of right since I've been upset a lot or complained to him about Nini to him almost all the time. So, I decided to go to the Valentine's day dance. But I didn't want to go as a third wheel with Big Red and Ashlyn or go alone so I thought of an idea: to ask Bella.

I mean Gina did say that dances were for friends and not just couples. I also promised myself that I would tell Nini about Bella before the dance, well if she said yes.

While I was lost in thought, I saw that my phone lit up with one new notification.

Bella: I don't have a dress, and don't you have a girlfriend?

Ok so maybe she was right, but this would just be a friend thing and besides I'm in love with Nini.

Ricky Bowen: Yeah, I do. Sorry for interrupting you at work. I guess I just miss her a lot.

Bella: It's ok. Dances aren't really my thing anyway. I'll see you at school tomorrow.

Ok so maybe that was a stupid move. At least, I don't have to tell Nini about it anymore. I guess I'll be spending valentine's day alone.

"How come you don't know how to make chicken?! You just put it in the oven on 350 degrees for 30 minutes?!" I heard my mom yell at my dad.

Oh no. Here we go again.

"Well, I'm sorry I'm not a professional chef. Why are you complaining about my cooking when you don't even live in this house anymore?" My dad yelled as he slammed a door downstairs.

I wanted to call Nini and just hear her voice, but I knew that she had a later class on Thursday and would probably still be in the building or at dinner. Big Red was probably in robotics club having fun and here I am listening to my parents yell on a Thursday Night.

I decided to call Bella to see if she was available since her shift is probably over by now since it's 7:30.

"Hey Ricky, what's up? Need help studying for a pop quiz?" Bella laughed lightly through the phone.

Her laugh was so cute.

"Where are you right now? I need a friend to talk to." I said through the phone trying to ignore my parents.

"You're the one who met another guy in Chicago!" My dad yelled from down the stairs.

"Sorry about that my parents are yelling downstairs." I sighed.

"I'm in my room reading the book for American Lit class. What's up? I got a few minutes before I start World History homework." Bella said through the phone in a nice voice.

She was so easy to talk to and a good listener.

"Can I come over? I don't feel comfortable talking about it at my house." I sighed as I ran my hands through my curls.

"If you can climb up a tree then yeah. My stepmom doesn't exactly like when I have friends over." Bella sighed.

"Ok thanks. Just text me your address." I sighed as I hung up.

I looked at the address she texted me. Great, she lived two neighborhoods down from me. This wouldn't take long.

When I got to her house, I strapped my skateboard onto my backpack and began climbing the only tree that I saw in her yard. Her light was on and there was a tiny porch by her bedroom. Bella waved to me as I climbed up the porch to her bedroom There were two high windows, apparently, she lived in an attic. WOW.

Once, I was safe and in her bedroom. I stood on her raggedy carpet looking around her room.

"So, what did you want to talk about that you couldn't talk about in your own bedroom over the phone?" Bella sat on her bed turning off her record player that was playing, "Butterfly Fly Away" by Hannah Montana

"So, what did you want to talk about that you couldn't talk about in your own bedroom over the phone?" Bella sat on her bed turning off her record player that was playing, "Butterfly Fly Away" by Hannah Montana. (A/N: you can play song now if you want.)

I chuckled lightly at her song choice before I was hit with a pillow. Ok so what? I knew that song from the Hannah Montana movie. Nini made me watch it when it first came out.

"Hey don't laugh. I love this song, and it means a lot to me." Bella said to me as she put her pillow back on her bed. I could see that her eyes were red and puffy, but she was trying to be ok.

"Ok ok, sorry. Why do you have a record player? Don't you have a ipod or something?" I said as I pulled my ipod out of my backpack.

"You are ignoring my question and it was a gift from my mom." Bella replied ignoring me.

Oh shoot. I upset her again. I didn't mean to.

"I don't really want to talk about my parents. Where's your mom?" I asked her as I sat on her bed next to her.

"She died when I was born." Bella said as she pulled a photograph out from under the record player.

"I'm sorry about that." I replied to her as I got closer to hug her.

I looked over at Bella, she looked like she needed a friend too. And a big hug.

"Can we talk about something else? Like how Valentine's day is some stupid overrated holiday." Bella pulled away from me lightly and leaned on her pillow.

Her room was quite small but nice and fit her style. The only other girls' bedroom I've bedroom I've been in is Nini's. Bella is just a friend and she needed a friend just as much as I did.

"I hate how my girlfriend, Nini, can't even be here. It's our first Valentine's day back together."

"What do you mean back together?" Bella replied as she grabbed her pillow to hold.

"Well, it's kind of a long story, and it's in the past now."

"Ok Mr. I want to come over but don't want to talk about what's on my mind." Bella said as she hit me gently with her pillow.

"Hey, stop making up nicknames for me. I told you about Nini." I fake pouted at her.

"Do you ever talk about anything besides your girlfriend?" Bella said looking at me.

Damn she's sassy and cute.

"Yeah."

Bella and I talked for a few more minutes before a blonde-haired lady walked into her room without knocking on the door.

"Isabella where's my dinner? Oh, hi cutie. I told you that you can't have friends over. It's my house." The blond-haired woman said in a drunk voice as she stepped out.

Bella's face turned red  with embarrassment. I wanted to comfort her some more but I knew that she needed to attend to her step mom and I needed to be home for dinner, which would most likely be take out or left overs.

"I should probably go. It was nice talking to you Bella." I waved to her as I grabbed my bag and jumped back onto the tree branch outside of her window.