Chapter Forty-Seven

Isabella Johnson

"Hey Bells, how you holding up today?" Brandon said as he leaned against my locker protecting me from any scene that Ricky could make if he entered the school.

"I'm okay. The bowling night was fun. We should do that again sometime. we make great lip sync partners." I tried to fake laugh at him as Ricky entered the building holding his skateboard.

"It's okay to be sad.  That boy did hurt you more than once..." Brandon said to me as I kept staring at Ricky but immediately looked away when Ricky looked at me.

"I know. I wish he would make up his mind and just decide who he likes already. I'm tired of playing this rebound game and being the one who gets hurt." I said to Brandon as we walked down the hall to the student lounge.

"He's young, dumb, and in love. I'm sure that he will come to his sense soon. Hey, are you going to be okay first period by yourself? I know that you have that class with him and I haven't exactly asked you about it yet." Brandon said as I took out some spare change and got a granola bar from the vending machine.

"Yeah I'll be fine. I already survived one day with him sitting next to me." I mumbled to him as we walked out of the student lounge.

"Ok, just want to make sure that my bestie is okay. I'll see you at lunch Bells. Love you girly." Brandon said as he walked off to his first period class waving at me.

Luckily, I got to American Literature class before Ricky did and got to choose a spot in the back row.

I sat down in a seat near the window in the back row and got out the book we were reading for class to review my notes, but as I was putting my backpack down under my seat I saw a shadow. That familiar head of curls.

Ricky just had to sit next to me again. He was so desperate to talk to a rebound girl.

"Hey Bella can we please talk at lunch in private? I don't know what I did to make you mad but I'm sorry." Ricky whispered as the teacher walked into the classroom.

I sat down in my seat and opened my book, ignoring his presence. Why would he want to talk to a girl like me when he has Nini waiting for him?

"I'm really sorry for everything that I did." Ricky whispered to me before the bell rang.

While the teacher was writing the lesson plan on the board, Ricky reached over to my desk and shoved a little piece of paper that he had torn out of his notebook and placed it on my desk.

I didn't bother to open it and paid attention to the lesson while ignoring him.

He doesn't need me. He has Nini. I don't want to be rebound girl anymore. I'm sick of his games.

When the bell finally rang, I got up and took my belongings and left the class room. I was going to be late for second period but I wanted to read Ricky's note, so I went to the girls' bathroom for some privacy.

After locking myself into a stall, I finally took Ricky's note out of my backpack and read it.

I'm sorry for everything I did to you. You don't deserve any of the pain I caused you. I'm really sorry. I'll prove it to you. Meet me on the rooftop at lunch. -R

Why was Ricky writing me a note when he's hopelessly in love with Nini?  I thought to myself as I exited the bathroom stall.

********

"Hey Bells How has your day been so far?" Brandon said to me as I met him at our lunch spot holding a guitar case that I got from the music room.

"Very interesting. What about you?" I replied to him as I put the guitar case down on the bench and sat next to Brandon.

"Same old boring. I hate math class. I always fall asleep and get extra homework. What made your day so interesting? I saw you this morning and there was nothing new with you?" Brandon said touching my shoulder.

"Ricky gave me a note this morning." I replied as I got the note out of my backpack and gave it to Brandon while taking the schools' guitar out of its case.

"Bells, this is fantastic. He's apologizing to you. He wants to meet you in private why aren't you at the rooftop now?" Brandon said to me excitedly.

"I don't want to meet a guy who has used me as a rebound for his ex-girlfriend twice. What he did still hurts and will always hurt. I'm just a rebound girl to him, nothing more. Can we please change the subject? I want to show you a song that I wrote for you." I said as I started strumming the guitar.

"I really think that you should meet him at the rooftop. You still have 20 minutes. I think that you need to hear his point of view but I won't force you to do anything you are not comfortable with. What did you want to show me?" Brandon said to me as he threw the note into a trash can.

"I wrote a song for you!" I said happily as I changed the subject.

"Awww Bells. You're the best. I can't wait to hear it." Brandon said as he side hugged me.

"It's complete. Here it goes." I said to him as I started singing.

All of my life
I thought I was right
Looking for something new
Stuck in my ways
Like old-fashioned days
But all the roads led me to you

The house that you live in don't make it a home

But feeling lonely don't mean you're alone
People in life, they will come and they'll leave
But if I had a choice I know where I would be

Through the lows and the highs, I will stay by your side
There's no need for goodbyes, now I'm seeing the light
When the sky turns to grey and there's nothing to say
At the end of the day, I choose you

Now I found the strength
To make a change
And look at the magic I found
No matter the name
Or where you came from
'Cause no one has much figured out

The house that you live in don't make it a home
But feeling lonely don't mean you're alone
I finally found where I feel I belong
And I know you'll be there with wide open arms

Through the lows and the highs, I will stay by your side
There's no need for goodbyes, now I'm seeing the light
When the sky turns to grey and there's nothing to say
At the end of the day, I choose you

I choose you

Through the lows and the highs, I will stay by your side
There's no need for goodbyes, now I'm seeing the light

Through the lows and the highs I will stay by your side
There's no need for goodbyes, now I'm seeing the light
When the sky turns to grey and there's nothing to say
At the end of the day, I choose you
Oh, I choose you

I choose you (A/N: It's I choose you by Alessia Cara)

"I'm so emotional. I can't even eat my lunch. That was so beautiful Bells." Brandon said reaching over to hug me and tearing up at the same time.

"Lol. I didn't know that it would make you cry. Sorry about that. Want to share some of my carrot sticks with me?" I offered him.

"You bet I do!" Brandon said happily as we ate lunch together.