Chapter Forty-Two

Ricky Bowen

"Come on, Ricky. I know that you can do the waltz. We've been practicing this routine for months now." Carlos said yelling at me while I was still stepping on Gina's feet as the music was playing in the background.

I guess tech rehearsal = angry Carlos. This is going to be a long night.

He's going to make me do this dance until my feet fall off.

"Can I have a break? Please." I looked at Miss Jenn who was looking over her notes.

"Take 5 everyone and then we are rehearsing the 'Evermore' scene." Miss Jenn said while standing up.

"Isn't that from the live action movie?" Seb said standing up from the piano.

"Well yes, but I added into the show. Ricky and I have been discussing it and he's going to sing it as like a sad ballad." Miss Jenn said looking back at her notes.

"Well you are not going to hear me sing .and you are certainly not going to see me dance. Nini said that I'm just a friend to her and Bella won't even talk to me and I don't know why!" I said as I got up from where I was standing and stormed out of the room.

******

I walked over to the empty student lounge and got one of the pillows to hug tightly. I don't know why its so complicated to be in love? Why can't everything just fall right into my hands and be that simple? Why isn't Bella talking to me?

"Hey, you okay beast? You kind of stormed out of the theater before anyone could catch you." I looked up from my tears and saw Gina standing by the door with a comforting smile.

"Could I just be alone for a moment? I need space to think." I said while hugging the pillow.

"Well I think that what you need is a friend to talk to. I won't take no for an answer. This is not like you at all, Ricky. What's up? The problem can't be that you forgot the dance." Gina said sitting on the couch next to me.

"I don't know who I love." I mumbled as I hid my tear stained face into the pillow.

"Is this about Bella and Nini?" Gina said putting a hand on my back rubbing circles on my back.

"Yeah, how'd you guess?" I said looking up at her wiping my tears.

"It's pretty much all that the schools been talking about since that article was posted. I see the way that you look at Bella and the way you talk about her. I think you should go with your gut. Do what you think is right but this time, give an explanation to Nini and Bella. I hate seeing people get hurt but I want you to do what you think is right." Gina said pulling some tissues out of her backpack.

"Wow. When did you get so spiritual and deep?" I laughed lightly at her while accepting the tissues.

"Well, I guess that's what happens when you've transferred schools seven times in the last five years and you've watched the people who you love leave you." Gina said while smiling at me.

"Thanks for the talk Gina." I replied while giving her light friendly hug.

"So, do you want to go back and show everyone that 'Evermore' song? I haven't heard it yet." Gina said standing up and putting her hand out for me.

"Yeah, I think that will be a nice surprise for everyone. Hopefully, my throat can handle the deep voice. I think I cried a bit too much." I said while taking her hand and following her to the theater again.

"You got this! Even if you turn out to be the worst soloist in the world, I won't hate you for it. Remember last fall? You pretty much aced that musical even though you were going through a hard time. You got this." Gina said while high-fiving me as we walked back into the theater.

"Hey, you ready to show everyone, what we've been rehearsing?" Miss Jenn said while putting a hand on my back

"Yeah, my voice might be raspy and might crack though." I said while taking my position on center stage.

"Don't worry about it. My voice cracks all the time. Like every five seconds." E.J said from where he was sitting in one of the chairs.

I laughed a little bit as I got into beast mode and started to sing my heart out

I was the one who had it all
I was the master of my fate
I never needed anybody in my life
I learned the truth too late
I'll never shake away the pain
I close my eyes but she's still there
I let her steal into my melancholy heart
It's more than I can bear

Now I know she'll never leave me
Even as she runs away
She will still torment me
Calm me, hurt me
Move me, come what may
Wasting in my lonely tower
Waiting by an open door
I'll fool myself, she'll walk right in
And be with me for evermore

I rage against the trials of love
I curse the fading of the light
Though she's already flown so far beyond my reach
She's never out of sight....