Chapter 14

A sudden weight on the mattress made Mariko stir from her peaceful sleep. It wasn't enough to completely wake her up though. She was about to settle back down when a hand was placed on her shoulder. Immediately, her eyes flew open and she sprang into a sitting position. Her free hand shot towards her shoulder, tightly gripping the wrist of whoever had dared attack her while she slept.

            "Ow ow ow ow ow, Kid it's me! Keigo!" he exclaimed, wincing, and trying to pry her hand off of his.

             Her grip loosened as she slowly processed what he said. "Keigo? What are you doing here?" she asked, her voice slightly raspy with sleep.

             The blonde looked at her and pouted, gingerly rubbing his wrist. "Well I was going to do something nice and take you out to breakfast but since you attacked me I'm not so sure I'm in the mood for it anymore," he huffed brattily.

             "Oh...sorry, you scared me," she apologized rubbing her eyes sleepily. It didn't sound sincere, but Keigo couldn't tell whether it was because she didn't care she'd nearly snapped his wrist or because she was still half asleep and wasn't aware of everything yet.

             "What a heartfelt apology," he quipped sarcastically.

             Mariko didn't respond, running a hand through her slightly tousled hair she let out a quiet yawn.

              Keigo couldn't help but smile at her sleepy state. Her little gestures were quite endearing and made it impossible for him to remain upset with her.

             "What time is it?" she asked.

             He grabbed her phone off her nightstand and checked the time, "Just past nine," he told her.

             The brunette groaned and fell back onto the mattress. "It's too early," she grumbled, covering her head with her comforter. She'd been asked to cover a colleague's shift last night and had been working until four in the morning.

              He shook his head slightly and pulled the comforter off her face, smiling cheekily as she protested, turning away from him and trying to bury herself under her pillows. "Nope, come on we're gonna go out today," he told her, taking her hand and yanking her into a sitting position.

              "Why do I have to go? Why can't you just let me sleep?" she whined.

              "'Cus I feel like it, come on, get dressed," he insisted.

              Mariko just wasn't having it though. She remained motionless on the mattress.

              "Mariiiii," he whined, grabbing her arm and trying to get her to sit back up. The plan backfired on him completely though, as the brunette overpowered him and caused him to faceplant into the pillows beside her.

                "Sleep," she muttered tiredly. She was too exhausted to go out.

                 Keigo chuckled, adjusting himself so he was laying on his side, "There are sexier ways of getting me into bed y'know."

                 "Shut up. I'm tired," she mumbled, wrapping herself up in the blankets even more.

                 "I wanna hang out today though," he told her.

                 "That's fine, but you're out of your mind if you think I'm leaving her for the next seven hours," she sighed.

                 "Jeez, what's got you so tired?" he asked. He hadn't seen her the past couple of days since he'd been on night patrol that week.