Chapter 25

"Was this seriously all you could find? Dabi asked, unimpressed. He had been hoping Hawks could get them a much more detailed report on Mineko Shimizu. He'd been given over a month after all.

The hero shrugged, "What can I say? Dead people don't exactly do much."

He narrowed his eyes at him, "You're not holding something back now are you? I already told you what would happen if you did." He conjured a ball of blue flames in his hand.

"You really are paranoid aren't you? This was all I could find. Take it or leave it. You won't be able to find anything else. Her records are sealed tight. Getting those files was like pulling teeth," Hawks defended.

Dabi stared at him for a moment, picking apart his words and trying to detect a lie in them. "Whatever. I'll take the files and check your information myself," he said.

"Be my guess. Not like I got those files for me," the blonde shrugged.

The ravenette glared at him, "See ya around, hero," he sneered. He set the alley on fire temporarily so he could leave without being followed.

Hawks glared at the blue flames before turning around and leaving the ally, making sure no one witnessed the exchange. Although he wanted to, he couldn't go home immediately. He had to go back to the agency to write up the latest report for the president of the HPSC recording his entire interaction with Dabi. He also had a bit more digging to do on Mineko Shimizu. The HPSC had given him her supervisor's military ID number (A-99786).

He was able to get the individual's basic military profile. When he opened the file, he was frustrated to find the name was blacked out from the report. It was the most basic information, and it was being kept from him again. "Why would they even have a box for it if they're just gonna black it out," he wondered bitterly. The profile did state that the person was a female. They had served for almost the same amount of time as Shimizu. The person also had a very decorated military career, having been awarded even the Grand Cordon of the Supreme Order of the Chrysanthemum. They were honorably discharged two years ago and there was no record of what happened to them afterward. Thankfully, the rest of the profile was pretty detailed with the exception of what Units they'd served in. Things like IQ, EQ even hospital visits were included. It was a good start- if he could just get her name.

As though sensing his frustration, his phone buzzed on his desk. It was a text from Mariko, asking him if he would be home for dinner. He rapidly responded that he would be there soon and that she could start making it if she wanted. He smiled as his thumb pressed the send button. They had both started to casually refer to her apartment as "home." Sure, it had always been home for Mariko, but it made him warm whenever she included him too. Quickly, he put all of his things away ad left the agency, eager to get home.

Mariko didn't notice when he came in. She had put on some music to entertain her while she was cooking and was too busy dancing and singing along in the kitchen to notice his arrival. It was quite the scene to walk into. Mariko had been down for a while after the accident so seeing her dancing in the kitchen gave the male a huge serotonin boost.

Not one to miss out on the fun, he decided he'd join her. In a flash he appeared before her eyes, his hand sliding into hers, and placed the other on the small of her back as he led her through the kitchen and living room. She was momentarily surprised by his sudden appearance, but she didn't mind. She smiled in amusement and allowed him to take the lead.

               "She's in a good mood today," he thought happily.

"Well this is a nice surprise. I didn't know you were a songbird. What's got you into such a good mood? He asked.

Mariko effortlessly followed his movements as she answered him, "Received some good news at work."

He raised an eyebrow curiously, "Oh? Care to share?"

"Remember that ICU training I applied to? I didn't think I'd gotten in since I never received a response, but my boss told me I got in today!" she exclaimed excitedly.

Keigo smiled at her, her excitement contagious, "That's great news Chickee!" he exclaimed. "I'm happy for you. It's nice to see you in good spirits again," he told her.

She smiled softly, "Thank you."

"I didn't know you could dance," he commented, suddenly changing the subject.

She laughed slightly, a small, playful smirk gracing her features. "There's a lot you don't know about me yet," she said cryptically.

He looked down at her, flashing a toothy smile, "Good thing I've got plenty of time to figure you out then."

She hummed in acknowledgment and they danced a little while longer until the blonde registered a strange scent coming from the kitchen.

"Mari?" he asked, coming to a standstill; he didn't move away from her just yet though.

"Yeah?"

"Pretty sure the food's burning," he informed.

The brunette's eyes widened, and she immediately stepped away from him. "Shit" she exclaimed rushing over to the pan where smoke was starting to rise out of it.

Keigo laughed loudly at her, causing her to shoot him a glare.

"I wouldn't be laughing if I were you. It was your food I burned," she told him.

The blonde's smile fell instantly, and he walked over to the pan where burnt chicken stir fry sat smoking. There was no saving it.

"Take out it is," Mariko sighed disappointedly.