Chapter 2

By the time he woke up the next morning, Mariko had long since gone to work. He blinked slowly as he homed in on his surroundings. After getting himself completely plastered, he was especially slow in waking up. "How did I even get home?" he wondered still half asleep.

The blonde sat up looking at his bedroom... only, it wasn't. The walls were a different color, and the furniture and bedding were different too. Keigo rubbed his temples; the more awake he became the more became aware of his situation and surroundings- including the major hangover he had. Slowly, the memories of the previous night started coming back. He groaned when he remembered that he had spilled one of the country's biggest secrets to his neighbor while he was drunk. "Fuck."

He noticed a yellow post-it note stuck to the headboard:

Hawks,

I'm going to work. If you feel sick, bathrooms the first door on your left. Food's in the fridge, help yourself to whatever you want.

- Your neighbor from across the hall, Saito.

Carefully, the man stood up. He wasn't as dizzy as he thought it would be, likely because of the medicine she'd made him take the night before. His mind wandered back to the conversation he'd had with the woman the night before. He knew he'd have to talk to her about the information he'd given her. He would have to threaten her if she would refuse to keep quiet about it. The thought made him guilty and he really hoped it wouldn't come to that. She had taken care of him while he was drunk and gave him a bed to sleep in last night and blackmailing her wouldn't be the best way to show gratitude.

Keigo checked his pockets and, sure enough, his keys and wallet were in his back pocket where he always put them. Why couldn't I find them last night? He asked himself. "I was completely plastered," he reminded himself. He walked out of her apartment and crossed the hallway into his. Taking his phone out of his pocket, he went inside and called in sick to work. His side kicks could handle things for a day and they had his number in case there was an emergency.

He spent most of the day writing up his latest report on the League of Villains and ordering ried Chicken to the apartment. Every once in awhile though, he would stop and listen for sounds at the front door, waiting to see if his neighbor had come back home.

He had just finished sending the report to the head of the HPSC when he heard footsteps walking down the hallway. He threw open the front door, startling his neighbor. On instinct, the brunette pivoted and punched him in the face.

"Oh my god," she mumbled realizing she had just punched him in the fact.

Hawks was sent stumbling back into the entrance of his apartment, holding his face in pain.

"I am so sorry," Mariko said, her cheeks flushing in embarrassment.. He groaned slightly as she quickly helped him back up.

"You've got a hell of an arm," he gritted out holding his check.

She cringed and opened her mouth to apologize, only for the hero to wave it off dismissively.

A light, carefree smile graced his features, "It's kinda my bad for scarin' ya in the first place...Ya got a minute? I need to talk to you."

"Yeah sure... come on in," she said unlocking the door for both to walk inside. The sudden change in attitude had caught her a bit off guard.

Again, he took off his shoes at the entrance before he followed her into the living room.

"First, I'd like to thank you and apologize for being a burden to you last night" he said standing up and bowing in apology. He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly and took a deep breath to continue.

"You're wondering how much you told me" she observed.

The blonde looked at her expectantly as he sat back down.

Mariko sighed, but didn't look away from him, "You said you were working on an undercover assignment as a double agent for the League of Villains and you don't like it. It makes you question whether you're still worthy of being called a hero since you're helping villains instead of stopping them and you cried for a bit."

He rubbed his face trying to cover up the embarrassment that was washing over him. He knew he had told her about the league, but he didn't remember dumping his emotional baggage on her as well.

"Any hance you'd be willing to do me a favor and forget all of that?" he chuckled weakly.

"Unfortunately, I don't have the power to wipe my own memories... but I won't mention or bring it up. No one else will know about it. I can promise you that," she assured.

"Thank you," Hawks breathed out. "At least I don't have to threaten her" he thought.

"If it's worth anything, I still think you're a hero," she shrugged.

Hawks sighed and nodded, "Thanks I guess," he muttered.

Mariko frowned. She wasn't entirely sure what to do in this situation. She was so used to seeing Hawks act so nonchalant and energetic on TV; seeing him look so down made her uncomfortable. Not to mention she barely knew him and had no idea how to comfort him, or if she should even try to.

"If you need someone to talk to... about this..." she stare uncertainly, "I'm usually here," she said.

Hawks looked up at her in surprise.

"I mean, I already know... so its not like you'd be breaking any rules. Besides, missions like these are hard to deal with on your own. It might do you some goo to talk to someone about it," she said quickly.

"You sound like you speak from experience," the blonde said, becoming vigilant.

The brunette pursed her lips, debating how to respond. "More or less, I guess you could say I've seen the kind of strain undercover work puts on people," she answered vaguely.

He raised an eyebrow expecting more of an explanation, but she gave none.

For a moment neither of them said anything. Hawks continued looking her up and down as though he were searching for something.

Mariko quickly grew uncomfortable with the silence. "Did you short circuit or something?" she asked, sounding ruder than intended.

He smiled lightly, "Sorry, I was just a bit surprised I guess. You don't come across as the neighborly type."

She scowled at the comment. "What a jackass... why the hell did I even consider being nice to him?" she wondered.

"Anyways, thanks for the concern, but I'll be just fine," he said standing up again.

She followed his lead and guided him towards the front door. She looked down at him as he put on his shoes, doubting his previous statement. "Yeah, that's what you said last night too."

"Take care of yourself, Hawks," she told him.

"Thanks, you too kid," he said waiving slightly before disappearing back into his apartment.

She frowned again, "Who the hell is he calling a kid?" She asked herself.