Chapter 79

Despite knowing she wasn't in serious danger at that very moment, Mariko's system was on high alert since she was abducted. Her training automatically kicked in and she'd counted that they'd been driving just over 30 hours by car. She used that time to calculate distance and concluded that they were somewhere in northern Japan now. Her muscles itched as she subconsciously looked for openings the few times they'd stopped. It would've been relatively easy to escape. All she would have to do was get out of her bindings, take Dabi and the driver out and drive back to Kyushuu. All she needed to do was touch their skin and they would drop dead, it wouldn't've taken long at all. She couldn't do that though, so to stay away from the temptation, she thought of other things. Other things meaning Keigo. It had only been 30 hours and she missed the blonde like crazy. She hoped he was taking care of himself and hadn't reverted to eating expired frozen chicken nuggets and take out. She'd been so caught up in preparing the safe houses with Araya that she hadn't had time to stock up on food for him will she was out. "Maybe I should've asked Sakura to check in on him until I got back," she wondered.

The truck suddenly stopped, and she became hyper focused on her surroundings. She listened intensely to the sounds around her, trying to discern where she was. Was she in a city, by the ocean, on a cliff etc.

"We're here," Dabi's voice resounded right next to her hear, making her flinch. "How long had he been there?"

The ravenette chuckled at her drastic reaction and placed a hand on her back. Whether it was to secure his own position or comfort her she didn't know.

45 seconds later, Mariko heard a series of footsteps. The truck had been surrounded. "Ten men, armed. Even footsteps for the most part. They're not in complete unison... probably mercenaries. She sent a welcome party."

The truck doors opened and they were greeted by a gust of frigid air as it blew inside the truck from the outside.

She stiffened, forcing herself not to shiver.

"That her?" an unfamiliar voice asked.

"No, this is your wife," Dabi sassed.

He yanked her up by her arm and soved her out of the truck. For a moment, she was falling. Then she collided with someone- she assumed it'd been the man that had been speaking before.

"Bastard," he muttered pushing her off of him.

This time there was no one to catch her and Mariko fell hard on her ass. Her palms stung as her full weight pressed them into the gravel under her.

"Stand up bitch," Dabi instructed.

The brunette stood up, her face completely blank. She counted the paces as he dragged her around the truck. After about ten of them, more footsteps joined in.

"Is your boss here today? Shigaraki-san instructed us to deliver the gift in person," Kurogiri's smooth voice traveled to her ears.

"Shut your mouth. Don't ask questions," the man ordered.

They walked another 75 paces and Mariko felt the ground change from gravel to stone. There was a continuous subtle vibration beneath her feet. "A platform," she realized. She took a deep breath, and the air was salty. "The ocean." Now she knew they were on the Northern Island, probably right above Mineko's secret lab.

There was a beep and a large rumbling sound resonated through the area.

Someone pushed her forward, causing her to stumble and trip as she tried to make her way to the platform. Dabi was still leading her, and although he had a death grip on her arm, he wasn't just shoving her around; he was actually using his strength as a balance point for her which she greatly appreciated.