Chapter 4

It was late at night again. Hawks sat at the same bar, downing a shot of whiskey. The Japan Hero Billboard Award Ceremony had occurred earlier that day. He shook his head as he replayed the event in his mind.

            "Start talking like real heroes," he muttered, his hand gripping the small glass tightly. Sometimes even he hated his own recklessness. "It's a miracle Endeavor-san didn't punch me in the face," he thought. He took another shot.

            "I still think you're a hero," Mariko had said. He hadn't deserved those words. After hearing her say that he'd started repeating them to himself over and over again. Some nights when the League had especially brutal requests, those words were the only thing that gave him comfort and relief. He wanted to believe them so badly. He wanted to believe that he was still doing the right thing, but it didn't feel right. He didn't think anything should make him feel better about the things he had seen or done since "joining" the League. "Besides, she's only saying that because she doesn't understand," he reminded himself. He took another shot.

            The bartender was the same girl before. Seeing as his reaction hadn't been bad the first time, she was more willing to cut him off when there was a need to. Fortunately, it never came to that. After one last drink, the hero settled his tab on his own and walked out of the bar. His wings still dragged behind him as he walked, but at least he wasn't stumbling over himself repeatedly like before. He slowly but surely made it to his building.

            He ran a hand through his hair and knocked on the door.

            A few moments later, it opened slightly, a curious and slightly tussled female peeked through the doorway. Seeing it was just her neighbor though, she opened it up wider.

            "You're drunk again," she noticed immediately.

            "I drank. I'm not drunk though," he corrected.

            Mariko eyed him for a moment and gestured for him to come inside.

            "I was making tea," she commented as she led him to the kitchen.

            Hawks sat on one of the barstools and watched as she shuffled around the room.

            She grabbed the tea kettle she had placed on the stove and poured the steaming beverage into 2 mugs.

            "It's chamomile, it should help you relax a bit," she said, pushing a cup towards him. She'd immediately known that the male was stressed. The fact that he'd shown up at her apartment half past midnight and smelling like a bar was a dead giveaway.

            "Thanks," he said quietly.

            She leaned on the counter across from him. Her eyes scanned his features, trying to discern what had made him upset.

            "I saw you on T.V," she said, bringing her cup to her lips. She simply guessed that the two were somehow related.

            "I'm full of shit right?" he asked, smirking tiredly.

            "Because of your assignment?"

            Hawks looked down, unable to meet her gaze. He didn't know whether she caught on quickly because she was perceptive or because he was simply that obvious.

            Mariko looked down, taking a moment to choose her words carefully. "I can see why you think it's ironic since you're technically working with The League. You probably aren't the best person to give those kinds of suggestions," she said honestly. Even if she did think he was a hero despite the nature of his work, she didn't really think he had the right to preach so condescendingly about it. When word of his dealing with the L.o.V comes out in the future, his speech at the Hero Billboards would certainly come back to haunt him.