Chapter 6

(Cover pic is Sakura)

It was the middle of the afternoon and Mariko and her friend Sakura were leaving work together. It'd been a while since their schedules matched up and they had made plans to grab lunch at Sakura's favorite restaurant afterward.

As they walked, the short-haired female chattered animatedly about a new anime she had started watching. She spoke so fast it was a bit hard to keep up with everything she was saying, but Mariko at least understood that the show had to do with a girl with red hair who ran away from home and met the prince of a neighboring country. She stopped paying attention however, when she noticed a strange shadow pass over them.

Mariko immediately turned her gaze to the sky and spotted a familiar pair of vermillion wings. "Hawks," she thought.

Sakura- being the observant person she was- quickly noticed her friend was no longer listening to her rant. Following her gaze, she realized the brunette was staring at the Pro-Hero Hawks as he flew overhead. She gasped in surprise; she would've never guessed Mariko was into him. His character was so laid back after all.

"I didn't know you were a Hawks fan!" She exclaimed loudly.

Mariko blinked, quickly returning her attention to the brunette. "I'm not," she told her.

Sakura eyed her suspiciously, "Watcha starin' at him for then?" she pressed.

"I wasn't" she lied flicking her forehead, "You're just hallucinating."

Sakura pouted in annoyance. She knew Mariko was lying, but there was no way the stubborn female would ever admit it. "You're such a bad liar. How the heck did Covert Operations choose you?" she asked bitterly.

Mariko flinched at the mention of their previous career and glared at her sharply. "I don't know but whoever it was needs to be fired since they picked someone as loud-mouthed as you to be there too!" she snapped back. "And don't go bringing that up. You know we aren't supposed to talk about it in public," she reminded her exasperatedly.

Sakura rolled her eyes, "Yeah yeah okay. It's not like anyone's paying attention though," she commented.

"Paying attention to what?" a new voice asked.

Sakura immediately brightened up seeing Hawks standing in front of them.

The male had noticed his neighbor standing at the corner for some time and thought a hello was in order.

"Just great," Mariko muttered inaudibly. This was quite possibly the worst mix she could've gotten herself into. Hawks was about as friendly and familiar as they came. Once Sakura realized they knew each other there was no telling what she would do. "If he tells her we're neighbors I'll never hear the end of it," she thought.

"Hope you don't mind my stopping by. I just spotted ya while flying around and thought I'd say hi," he explained.

"Hey, it's been a while. How've you been?" she greeted. She wanted to end the conversation as soon as possible. "Just exchange pleasantries and leave," she told herself.

"I've been A.O.K thanks for asking. Who's this you got with you?" he asked.

Mariko gestured to the female beside her, "This is Sakura, a friend of mine who works at the hospital with me. Sakura, this is Hawks," she introduced.

The blonde winked at her playfully, "Nice to meet ya," he greeted.

For a moment, the brunette was too star-struck to say anything. Realizing this, Mariko nudged her slightly, hope to shake her out of it.