Chapter 92

By the time Hawks returned, it was already nightfall and Mariko had long since finished the last of the household chores. They were officially "moved in" so to speak. The female had even had enough time to take a bath. The water was freezing since there was no electricity to heat it up, but she still felt a bit better now that she was clean.

             He walked into the house, setting all the groceries on the kitchen island before traveling up the stairs in search of his girlfriend. It didn't take very long to find her; she was in the bedroom, sitting by the lit fireplace. She was facing him, her damp hair closest to the flames so they could dry faster.

               "You're back! Were you able to get everything?" she asked as he approached her.

               He leaned down to kiss her lips, the few hours they were separated had him feeling deprived. "Mhm, everything's there. You gonna help me put everything away?" he asked.

             She nodded, standing up and abandoning the warmth of the fireplace. She shrugged on a cardigan she'd stuffed into her bag before following Keigo downstairs. Winter had passed, and they were in the first couple of weeks of spring, but the chill was still there, especially at night.

              She pushed the blonde away from the refrigerator, telling him instead to take a shower while she put everything. "Oh, and leave this by the fireplace so it stays warm please," she requested, handing him the bag of takeout he'd gotten.

               "Sure thing," he said as he waltzed back upstairs.

             Mariko quickly put all the items away. A chill ran up her spine as she was putting away the last couple of things. Her damp hair had soaked through both her sweater and her shirt, allowing the cold to seep into her skin. As soon as she was done she jogged back to the bedroom to seek refuge by the fireplace. After a few minutes, the cold dissipated and she quickly grew comfortable in the toasty warmth she was being provided with.

              She laid back, allowing herself to relax further as she waited for Keigo to get out of the shower so they could have dinner.

              A little while later, the male walked out of the bathroom. He immediately noticed his girlfriend laying on the floor right next to the fireplace and smiled a bit at the content expression on her face.

            "You look comfy," he commented, making his way towards her.

             The brunette shifted her eyes towards the sound of his voice. Her eyes widened for a split second seeing him shirtless, but the butterflies in her stomach were overshowed by the pressing question: "How the hell can he walk around shirtless when it's this cold?" "Aren't you cold?" she asked curiously.

               He blinked, her reaction not exactly what he was expecting. A devious smirk curved his lips, "Nah...I'm actually ridiculously hot."

              Although Mariko usually caught onto his humor, this time it sailed right over her head. "You don't have a fever do you?" she asked, getting up.

              Keigo smiled at her concern and shook his head when she placed her hand on his forehead. "Nah I'm fine Chickee. I meant the other kind of hot," he explained.

             She snorted, pulling her hand away and sitting back on her hands. "Yeah well that's not exactly news, and commenting on it is just arrogant," she said calmly.

             The male smirked as she blatantly confessed to thinking he was hot. "You think I'm hot."

             Mariko rolled her eyes, "I'm not blind Kei. I have eyes."

           He chuckled and sat down across from her. His golden irises were practically glowing as they reflected the firelight. "I know. Still nice to hear you say it though."

             She laughed and shook her head, moving the bag of food to sit in between them. "What'd you get?" she asked, motioning for him to open it.

              "A bit of this, and a bit of that," he responded as he tore the plastic bag off and opened the Styrofoam box revealing a mix of udon noodles and tonkatsu.

               Their stomachs growled simultaneously, neither of them having eaten much the whole day. The pair wasted no time in digging in, forgoing the usual plates and almost mathematical dividing of food and eating straight of the container.

                Once they had both finished, they set the empty box aside and simply sat by the fire, enjoying each other's company. It didn't take long however for Keigo to notice the slight distance between him and his girlfriend. "You know," he started, "I seem to remember a certain someone promising me a kiss when I got back."

                The brunette turned to him, an amused smile playing at her lips.

              "I never promised anything," she clarified, "I only said maybe."

              The male looked over to give her a half-hearted glare, but as soon as he did a pair of lips were on his, leaving behind a delicate kiss as she pulled away. She didn't get very far though, as Keigo was quick to push back against her, his arms snaking around her waist to keep her close. He kissed her slowly, savoring the sweet taste of her lips and the way her hands would squeeze his shoulders ever so slightly whenever he bit them. He slowly pushed her backwards, guiding her until she was laying down on the floor. His arms shifted around her, pulling back so that one hand rested on her hip while the other kept him upright. He kissed her until his lungs burned, begging him to take a breath. He only pulled away enough to allow that though, still wanting to be as close to her as possible.

               Beneath him, Mariko was panting slightly. The kiss left her completely breathless and she watched with half-lidded eyes as her boyfriend began to pepper kisses all over her face and neck, whispering sweet nothings in between each one.

              "I love you," mumbled into her skin, "I wish every day was like this." And he did, he wanted nothing more than for this to become their normal. He wanted to wake her up or be woken up with gentle caresses and lazy morning kisses where they could just lay in bed, enjoying each other's warmth. He wanted to stay home and help her do things around the house, anything as long as he got to spend time with her. If he did have to go out, she was right there waiting for him, the same smile she always wore on her face when greeting him. God that smile made him feel like he'd put all the fucking stars in the sky.

            "It will be one day," she said.

              Keigo looked into her eyes, a look that held nothing but adoration for the woman beneath him. "I can't wait 'till we're married," he said giddily. The only thing that could make his life better was having her as his wife. He'd already bought the ring- a 24-carat gold band with a 6-carat diamond in the center- and had been carrying it in his pocket ever since. He wasn't planning on proposing to her anytime soon; at the very least he'd wait until after this situation with Mineko and the League of villains was over and done with, but he liked having it with him. For one thing, it kept Mariko from finding it and ruining the surprise before he was ready. It also showed him how far he'd come. He'd suffered physical abuse at the hands of his parents and emotional abuse at the hands of the HPSC. He was beaten and told he would never be enough for anyone. He wouldn't be loved for who he was, he would only ever be Winged Pro-Hero: Hawks. He'd grown from that and was now in a stable relationship with the most spectacular girl in existence, ready and willing with a ring in his pocket to spend a lifetime or more with her if he was allowed to.

              "Me either. You're gonna be a wonderful husband," she told him.

              He smiled, exhaling slightly. His chest throbbed uncomfortably, his heart struggling to contain the happiness and love he felt towards her. Comments like that weren't fair. "She really is gonna kill me one of these days," he thought blissfully. He nuzzled into her neck, placing a kiss on the sensitive spot just above her collarbone, and relished in her immediate reaction. "And you, my love, are gonna be the best wife. You're a dream come true Chickee, more than I ever could've hoped for."

             Mariko smiled at him, cupping his face in her hands, and pulling him into another deep kiss.