Chapter 118

When Keigo opened his eyes, he immediately knew he wasn't at home. The bright flourescent lights that glared above him and the distinct smell of latex mixed with handsanitizer were enough to let him know he was in a hospital. His throat felt a bit raw and if he had been in a better state of mind he probably would have wondered what was going on. He wasn't though, so the thought didn't even cross his mind. Keigo simply stared blankly at the visitors chair beside the bed wishing that Mariko was occupying it.

     The door slid open, but the blonde didn't even glance in it's direction, not caring who entered the room.

     When Sakura walked in, her eyes widened in surprise seeing Hawks awake. They had pumped his stomach and had had to detoxify his liver and kidneys from how much he'd drank. The procedure should have taken a while longer for him to recover from. The brunette's surprise wore off quickly enough though, and was replaced by a burning anger which peaked when she saw his eyes. It was unreasonable and selfish, but Sakura was absolutely pissed with the blonde. He'd ignored her for six months and nearly drank himself to death! He should have been trying to live his life for both himself and Mari now that she was gone- not drown himself in alcohol. He was wasting his life away by doing that and Sakura couldn't help but be angry that he had the audacity to do so when her best friend had died. It was insulting.

        "You're not even gonna ask why you're here? You've been out for a couple of weeks." She asked in a low tone. Her hands gripped the plastic clipboard with his chart on it tightly.

        The hero didn't even awknowlesge her presence with a glance. He continued to stare at the empty chair across the room seemingly deep in thought.

       Sakura scowled at him. "You could've died you know."

        At this, Keigo finally looked at her. "You should've let me."

        For a moment, the room was completeky silent as she let his words sink in. When they did however, all she saw was red. She threw the clipboard on the floor hard- hard enough for the plastic to snap and splinter over the linoleum floors.  "Why... so you could be with Mari again?" She snapped.

      At the sound of the brunette's name, Keigo turned his longing gaze to the chair once more.

     Hot angry tears pricked at the corners of her eyes. "You think she'd accept you like that? You think she'd be okay knowing you ended your life to be with her?"

       There was no response.

      "THINKING LIKE THAT IS BULLSHIT! MARIKO WOULD HATE IT IF YOU DID THAT SHE'D NEVER FORGIVE YOU!" She yelled. Her hands curled into fists tightly at her side. "She would never forgive you. She'd hate you for all of eternity if you threw your life away like that... and I would too. I would hate it Hawks. I'd hate it because you're my friend, and because you're the only piece of Mariko I have left. So don't you dare... dont you DARE do something like this ever again because next time I'll let you. I'll let you and I'll let her hate you."

        After recieiving zero response from the male once more, Sakura laughed bitterly and wiped the stray tears from her cheeks. Taking a calming breath, she picked the broken clipboard off the floor. "You'll be discharged in a few more days. After that I'm taking you home and I'm gonna live with you until you prove that you're capable of living on your own." She walked towards the door and pulled it open. She lingered in the doorway for a moment before saying: "Dying might be easier for you, but Mariko made me promise to take care of you, and I'm not gonna break the last promise I made to my best friend."

      Hearing the door close once more, Keigo felt a single tear drip down his cheek. Mariko was sitting in the visitors chair now, her cloudy blue eyes flicking from him to the door.

"Would you hate me if I killed myself?" He asked.

"No," she answered. "But I wouldn't forgive you either."