Chapter 16

When they got to the studio, Keigo didn't know whether or not to be surprised at how calm Mariko was in the environment. If he hadn't known better he would've thought she was actually comfortable there, but he did know better and the more time he spent with the brunette the more he was starting to pick up on her little habits. One thing he realized she did when she was nervous, or in a new place was continuously look around. It was like she scanned the area repeatedly looking for danger despite maintaining a completely neutral expression. He also felt her muscles twitch beneath his arm as people approached them, indicating that she was feeling tense. It made him feel a bit protective over her, and by the time there was a small crowd surrounding them to welcome him, he was practically hiding her in his wings in a subconscious effort to protect her.

"Hawks, we're so glad you could make it!" a young woman explained.

"I know you're busy but do you think I could have an autograph?" another asked.

"Can we take a picture before you get to work?" someone called out.

Before he had a chance to answer any of them, an older man in a floral dress shirt and black slacks approached the crowd. "All right that's enough! We're already behind schedule let's get to work ASAP!" he announced authoritatively. The crowd of girls groaned and dissipated, everyone returning to their tasks.

"Hawks, baby! It's been too long it's good to see you!" the man exclaimed.

He smiled amicably, "Yeah sorry about that. Work's kept me busy. I'm really thankful you considered me for this project though," he said, bowing appreciatively.

"Of course! You were the first person I thought of!" he exclaimed. Suddenly he noticed the female standing behind the hero, almost hidden completely by his wings. "Who's this you've got with you?" he asked.

Mariko moved out from behind Keigo's wings, a bit annoyed that he'd shoved her back there in the first place. She didn't like when her line of sight was cut off. She analyzed the stranger in front of her. He was obviously gay, his mannerisms and sense of style much too colorful for a straight man. He didn't look like a threat though, so that was a major plus. She noticed the camera hanging around his neck and quickly deduced that he was the photographer Keigo would be working with that day.

She flashed an absolutely charming smile at the male and bowed with a grace neither man realized she was capable of. "My name is Mariko Saito. I'm a friend of Hawks's," she straightened slightly, "I hope my presence won't be a bother," she said sweetly.

The photographer was immediately taken in by her demeanor. "Oh of course not! You have a nice aura I'm sure it'll be fine! It's just so rare for him to bring someone around I just had to ask. My name is Akito Manabe. I'm the photographer at L'Aire Studios," he introduced.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Akito-san."

He smiled at her and gestured towards an empty chair by the camera, "Why don't you go sit over there? That way you can watch me work my magic on Mr. No. 2 over here," he suggested.

"Thank you very much," she said, bowing again and drifting away without a word to the blonde.

"Let's get you to hair and makeup alright?" he asked steering him towards the makeup tables.

As he got ready, the male would occasionally call out to Mariko, asking her what he thought of the makeup and joke about being too hot with makeup on. Each time she would respond with a sarcastic quip and a roll of her eye, she was amused watching him though. She could tell he definitely liked the attention- he definitely enjoyed being pampered.