Chapter 107

WARNING
THIS CHAPTER INCLUDES GRAPHIC CONTENT RELATED TO VIOLENCE AND DEATH

         The mission had been gone to shit as soon as they were dropped in. He and Mr. Compress had been separated two minutes into the mission. It wasn't a big deal, the pair knew where the exit point was and they knew what their jobs were, so sticking together wasn't a must.  They had rounded up all of the villains they could find. Unfortunately, Keigo had used up most of his feathers during the raid. It turns out that they didn't like Kurogiri's portal too much, and they never came back when he tried to call them. It was a major handicap when he was fighting a villain with a fire-type quirk. Some psycho who could make and control fire tornados had left the room in shambles and had burned many of his previous colleagues alive. Keigo had been lucky- a support beam that had been damaged by the villain's ramage fell on him and killed him instantly. The damage had already been done though. Without any feathers, Keigo had nothing but his hands and mind to fight and defend himself. His arms were covered in third-degree burns and his back was covered in cuts from being thrown around. At least he didn't really need to fly at the moment. He was in an indoor space with not much room for his wings to spread, and he was only doing the last round check of their target area before heading back to the portal himself. He hadn't seen Mariko once since going in, and that worried him greatly. He didn't know whether she was alive, or hurt, or worse. He just wanted to get out of there and make sure she was okay.

He whipped around at the sound of a metal door creaking open, and his eyes widened when a bloodied Mariko stumbled through.

"Mari?" he called out.

The brunette looked up, her expression mirroring his as she stared at him. She would have thought he was back to the others by now. "There's like two minutes left, what are you doing here?" she asked, her breathing ragged.

"Last round check, I was heading back now. What the hell happened out there Mari?" he asked, taking in her appearance.

"Got my ass handed to me by a villain," she quipped, biting her tongue to keep from groaning in pain. Keigo didn't think straight when she was hurt, so she had to appear as normal as possible for as long as possible.

The blonde nodded and grabbed her hand. "Tell me about it later, we need to get out of here," he said. He tugged on her arm harshly as he broke into a run.

Mariko gasped in pain as more blood seeped out of her wound.

Fires raged all around them as they ran through the halls. It was hard to tell whether the flames were Dabi's doing from when they were fighting, or the scientist who thought it was best to burn the building along with himself.

Hawks rounded a corner, pulling Mariko along behind him. He cursed silently as they found themselves at another crossroads, both paths were blocked meaning that they would have to turn around, and backtrack time was running out though.  He tugged on the brunette's hands, silently telling her that they needed to keep moving. He knew she was tired and in pain and even though he wanted nothing more than to carry her himself- he couldn't, not with the state his wings were in. He could barely move his arms as they were and was surprised the pain wasn't unbearable yet.

That wasn't the case for Mariko though. She was overusing her quirk completely and channeling her energy to heal Keigo's injuries- but it was being drained quickly. It was getting harder to see and with every step, every movement she made, her wound flared, sending searing pain through her entire body. Everything around her became blurry, her head spinning from the blood loss. Before she even realized it, the world had gone sideways. She was unable to hold herself up any longer, her legs had given out from under her.