Chapter 61

Chickee:

Where are you? Can we talk?

Keigo leaned against his front door and stared at the message. He wasn't angry so much as he was terrified. Was she going to tell him she was leaving him for Araya? Would it even be considered leaving him if they were never officially together? Had he been a place holder the entire time? If that were the case maybe it was better that she leave, she wouldn't be able to hurt him if she wasn't there. "This is good. I shouldn't have become so attached anyways," he thought. He knew he was just lying to himself though. He knew because, despite all those thoughts, he knew the reason he left was that he didn't want to face the possibility that he was losing her. For the first time, he hated himself for becoming so dependent.

The blonde pushed himself off his apartment door and opened it. For a moment, he stared at the brunette standing in the middle of the hallway. She was looking down at her phone, waiting for a reply. He awkwardly cleared his throat, making her look up at him.

"Oh," she said softly. She didn't know why she hadn't thought he'd retreat into his own apartment. "I forgot he actually has his own place," she thought, following him inside.

"You love him?" he asked. His voice wasn't delicate, it was hard as though he'd steeled himself for this moment.

"So you did hear that."

"Was I some sort of place holder then? Were you seriously messing with me the whole time until he came back around and proclaimed his love for you?" he asked.

"No. Kei, no. I don't want him like that."

"Then what do you want?" he snapped.

Mariko's eyes widened. "Is he seriously asking me that question?" she wondered "Did he suddenly forget that we've been basically attached at the hip for almost a year?" "Are you serious?" she asked.

He stared at her expectantly. Yes, he was.

"I want you. Yes, I love Araya. I love him like family because that's what he is. He's my family and he's been with me through thick and thin since as far back as I remember. The way I feel about him won't ever change. But unlike him, I'm in love with you," She clarified. "I'm in love with you and all the little moments we spent together. Dancing in the kitchen, watching movies, and waking up together. I fell for you because of the kisses and smiles that made me feel like there was no one else. And there isn't anyone else. Not for me. I want you. You and no one else," she said exasperatedly.

Mariko took a breath, ready to launch into another tirade- this time complaining about his stubbornness and listening to other people's conversations- when his lips suddenly crashed into hers.

Keigo had always felt he cared for her more than she cared for him. It hadn't bothered him too much at first because he'd figured that he had plenty of time to make her fall for him. When he heard her say she loved Araya it was shocking; the words had fallen from her mouth so naturally like it was easier to say to him. It hurt more than he'd ever admit, and he took it as a blatant threat to their relationship. He almost wanted to laugh at his own idiocy.

Mariko had never placed them in the same category. It had been he and Araya stupidly competing against each other when they wanted to fill different roles in her life.

He kissed her. There were no words to express what he was feeling right now towards her. It was an unbelievable amount of relief and happiness. All the moments that had him falling for her fast and hard had meant just as much to her as they had to him.

She was in love with him.

"Be my girlfriend," he muttered against her lips. "Please."

Mariko giggled slightly. "I was starting to think I'd have to ask," she joked.

"I wouldn't mind."

She pulled back a bit, eyebrow raised, "Seriously?"

"Hell yeah, that'd be hot."

The brunette laughed and nodded. She tilted her head slightly and brought him in for a long, slow kiss that turned his brain to mush and made his stomach erupt into butterflies. "Keigo Takami, will you be my boyfriend?"

"God I'm so in love with you. Yes," he whispered, capturing her lips in another kiss.

Mariko smiled into it, "I'm in love with you too."