Chapter 40

Always the early bird, Keigo was the first one to wake up the next morning. He could've sworn he was still dreaming though. He wasn't sure how, but at some point during the night, he hand Mariko had switched positions. Now the brunette laid on his chest, and their legs were tangled in between the sheets. He couldn't move and his wings were numb from laying on his back for too long in the wrong position, but he wouldn't trade the world for being able to wake up just like this. He watched her, her eyes were closed, and her breaths were deep, and even. He felt her fingers curl around his shoulder as she slept. Even if her hair was a bit disastrous she looked like an angel, being bathed in the early morning light that streamed in from the window she'd forgotten to shut the night before.

Unfortunately, those moments could only last so long. This time, what ruined it was none other than Mariko's cellphone which blared uncomfortably loud as her morning alarm went off. Her arm reached out to the side, and with surprising accuracy, grabbed her phone and turned her alarm off.

"G'morning Chickee," he greeted, amused.

The brunette groaned softly in response and nuzzled further into his chest, "Five more minutes."

Keigo sighed contentedly, he had no problem with that plan whatsoever, and her slightly raspy morning voice was the best thing on the planet.

Mariko, who despite her complaints was slowly waking herself up, at some point realized that her pillow was different from what she was used to. She pushed herself up slightly and nearly screamed when she realized who she'd been sleeping on. The brunette practically threw herself off the male and nearly knocked herself off the bed entirely.

He grunted at the sudden loss of warmth, but at least now he could stop crushing his wings. He sat up, stretching them slightly, and leaned against the headboard.

"Sorry," she muttered, her cheeks tinged pink.

"What for? I didn't mind it one bit," he smirked.

She rolled her eyes at the teasing remark, but she was still too sleepy to really be annoyed by it. She rubbed her eyes and ran a hand through her tangled hair. "You feeling better today?" she asked, referring to his apprehensive behavior the night before.

Keigo's expression fell at the reminder. "It'd been such a good morning too," he sighed. "Com'ere," he said, holding his arms out to her. He didn't want to go through the conversation unless he could feel her there.

Mariko eyed him warily but listened and crawled over to him. He gave her a moment as she settled herself under his arm. "What's going on?" she asked.

"I met with Dabi yesterday. He brought a new friend, some guy named Twice. He's pretty weird not gonna like but he actually doesn't seem like that bad of a dude," he told her.

Part of her wanted him to just get to the point, but seeing as she was the master of avoiding talking about what really needed to be talked about, she let him be. Even Hawks would run out of things to say...eventually.

"So, we were talking, and he asked me if there was a second base," he said.

"Second base?" she asked, confused.

"If Shimizu had one. I didn't know but he seemed like he was asking more for a confirmation that there was one instead of really asking if it existed." He felt her stiffen beneath him and he looked down.

Mariko shook her head slowly, "No... that can't be... we searched everywhere. There's no way we missed a second base," she stated firmly.