Chapter 48

Mari!" a voice shouted across the waiting room.

Mariko turned around to see Sakura barreling towards her. She quickly sidestepped, getting out of the way just as Sakura skidded to a stop in the same spot she had been standing a moment before.

"Are you going to grab lunch right now?" she asked, eyeing her purse.

"Yup."

"Awesome! Let's eat together, there's a new café I've been dying to try out," she said grabbing the brunette's hand and dragging her out of the hospital in the direction of the mall. "They've supposedly got the best sandwiches in town. You like sandwiches right?" she asked.

Mariko shrugged, more confused as to why Sakura suddenly wanted to have lunch with her. Lately, she'd been busy trying to get close to the resident doctor and spending her breaks with him. "Sakura... is everything okay? She asked as she dragged them to the back of the line at the restaurant.

"Of course! Why wouldn't it be!" she exclaimed, her eye twitching slightly.

"Yeah something's definitely not right," she thought. She nodded slowly, pretending to believe her. She'd ask about it after they'd sat down.

"What do you want to eat? It's on me today," she offered.

"I'll take a number three and some iced tea. Thank you," she said, reading the menu board.

The short female nodded in understanding and ordered their food once it was their turn.

Mariko decided to let Sakura pick where they were going to sit. She figured she wanted her to be in the best mood possible before asking anything. The brunette sat them down at a table inside the mall, but just outside the café. She didn't mind, they were beneath the skylights and there weren't that many people walking around that day.

"Something happened right?" she asked carefully.

Sakura sighed, her sandwich halfway to her mouth and she nodded. "Turns out the doctor guy was a bad call," she said smiling bitterly.

"What happened?"

She shrugged. "Caught him making out with an x-ray tech in the Janitor's closet."

Mariko scowled. "What a bastard... wanna go slash his tires?" she asked.

She laughed. "I would, but he's driving the most beautiful Maserati I've ever seen, and I'd feel ad about doing that to such a nice car."

"Even more reason to do it. It's gonna be expensive to fix."

"True... but I think I'll pass. Ask me again when I'm not as pissed."

"He doesn't deserve you Sakura. You're too good for him," she told her.

The brunette smiled, "Thanks Mari," she said quietly. "Enough about me though. Tell me about you and Hawks. He was so jealous at the apartment the other day. Are you guys dating? Be honest," she pressed.

Mariko rolled her eyes playfully, "We're not dating. Yeah both he and Sosa were being assholes. I felt like punching them the whole time," she complained.

"Jealous Hawks is kinda cute though you have to admit."

She smiled slightly. "Heh. Yeah he is," she said quietly taking a sip of her iced tea.

Sakura propped her chin on her hand, "You like him right?" she asked. She didn't bother to disguise the hopeful tone in her voice; she really wanted them to get together.