Chapter 33

Keigo had one of the largest smiles possible the rest of the day. His best friend was going to give him another chance, why shouldn't he feel happy?

That happiness disappeared though, when he got back from work to Mariko's apartment only for the door to remain closed to him. He knocked several times before deciding to call her, but his call went unanswered. His wings dropped down as he chided himself mentally for believing anything she said while drunk. He turned around and stared at his apartment door, knowing that no one would be waiting inside to receive him. It was a loneliness he didn't want to face yet, so instead of unlocking the door, he turned around and went back outside. Maybe he'd walk around for a while until he found something to cheer him up.

Unfortunately, there was nothing in the city that was able to lift his mood; so he turned back. As he approached the apartment complex once more, he was surprised to see an ambulance parked outside the building. Before he could ask the paramedics what was going on and who was in there, they had closed the door and driven off, lights flashing and sirens blaring. He wondered which of his neighbors had been loaded into the truck as he strolled into the lobby. When he turned to greet the receptionist like he always did, he found Sakura standing there with a frustrated and slightly panicked look on her face.

"Look, clearly you saw that this was an emergency, I literally just need his phone number, please" she begged.

Seeing the brunette's obvious distress, he made his way towards her, hoping to calm her down and help her resolve the situation. "Hey Sakura, everything alright?" he asked.

The brunette jumped and whipped around to face him. Her eyes widened considerably before sighing in relief. "Thank god you're here," she said.

"Whose number were you looking for?" he asked.

"Yours but that doesn't matter now, she said dismissively, "You need to get to the hospital, Mariko just left," she told him.

"What?!" he asked. "Why would she be in the hospital? She seemed mostly okay this morning," he asked himself. "What happened?"

"I don't know. She called in sick today, so I figured I'd drop by after work and bring her some food, but she wasn't answering so I unlocked it with the spare and when I came in she was on the floor of her bedroom. I called an ambulance right then," she explained.

Hawks nodded, "We should get going then," he said, starting to lead her outside. Before she had any chance to question him, he grabbed her arms and they shot up to the sky.

Sakura screamed the entire way there, making the hero incredibly glad he'd invested in a pair of noise-canceling headphones.

They hit the ground running, wanting to get to their friend as quickly as possible. They nearly ended up throwing themselves against the front desk to stop.

"Saito, Mariko," Sakura gasped.

With all the patience in the world- patience the pair didn't have- he slowly searched up Mariko's name. It felt like an eternity before the security guard asked: "Saito, Mariko, brunette aged 23?"

"Yes," Sakura answered quickly.

The guard nodded, "Alright, I'm going to need you to sign in," he told them.

Keigo however, didn't want to waste any time, "Is it alright if I just go? Hero business and all," he told him.

The man shrugged, not caring either way and telling him what room number she was in.