Chapter 88

Keigo decided to call in "sick" to work in favor of staying by his girlfriend's bedside the rest of the day. While he definitely wasn't one to skip work- much less lie about it, today was an exception. It technically wasn't even lying when he thought about it. He'd been seriously Mariko deprived over the last few days and was basically going through withdrawal at this point... staying with the brunette was just a form of self-medication.

              Mariko of course didn't mind the blonde's constant closeness. Unlike with everyone else with whom she sometimes tolerated physical contact, she actually sought after it with Keigo (though it was mostly subconscious); it brought her a comfort she hadn't known in a long time. He was actually the reason she was so calm now after everything that had happened. Seeing his face immediately when she woke up and hearing the gentle hum of his voice as he filled her in on everything she'd missed reassured her. She felt completely at ease as he continuously rubbed soft circles into her hand.

            Keigo was perfectly content to drone on about his days to the brunette. For days he'd been talking to her- urging, encouraging, and pleading for her to wake up- only to be met with silence and nightmares of her never waking up again. Now, he was staring back into those bright blue eyes he absolutely adored as she listened to him attentively, trying to gather as much information as she could. Getting to share all of the insignificant events that had happened during her absence was a blissful moment of normalcy. He wanted to share as much of his life with her as possible- she was his future wife after all. She would one day be Mrs. Takami and filling that role required her to listen to similar ramblings every single day; he was just preparing her for what her life would be like in the future.

              He talked on and on, only half paying attention to what he was saying and focused more on the sparkling blue eyes he absolutely adored. The ones that stared back at him bright and attentive as ever as though he were saying the most interesting things in the world. A smile grew on his face the longer he stared at her- she was absolutely beautiful- and his day getting a million times better as she subconsciously mirrored his actions.

            Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end, and that end came when Araya came in through the door. He'd been made aware that Mariko had woken up as soon as it happened, but he'd been unable to visit her until then because he'd been caught up in meetings with The General to plan their escort to the safehouses until they'd gathered the necessary resources to plan their final attack on Shimizu's base.

             "Look who's finally woken up," the ravenette remarked, the tension he'd been carrying around the past week or so disappearing from his shoulders as he saw her sitting up in bed.

            The brunette turned to him. Although she was usually happy to see her childhood friend, the smile she greeted him with was a sad one. One that spoke volumes and had Araya's heart aching slightly.

             "Mari I'm-"

           She raised a hand up, telling him to stop, and turned to Keigo. "Mind giving us a minute?" she asked.

            The blonde furrowed his brows, the last thing he wanted to do was leave her alone with the man who'd very nearly led her to death.

            "Just a minute. Sixty seconds," she insisted. She had to talk to Araya but knew there was no way he would be willing to seriously talk with her in Keigo's presence.

             He looked at her for a moment and sighed. There was a peaceful and assured smile on her face as she stared back at him, waiting for a response. "Fine. I'll be counting though," he joked leaning over to place a kiss on her forehead before leaving the room to allow them to talk.