Chapter 67

"Mari, are you guys ready to go?" Keigo asked. Since they had Ayuri with them, it was taking Mariko a little bit longer than usual to get ready, and even though they weren't on a tight schedule or anything, the blonde still wanted to spend as much time with his girlfriend as possible. He waited for a moment, listening for a response. Hearing none however he walked towards the bedroom to take it upon himself to see what was holding him up. The sight he met melted his heart completely though for the second time that morning.

Mariko was kneeling on the ground in front of Ayuri, adjusting the girl's adorable outfit. She smiled warmly as the child fought to stay still just a little bit longer before she was allowed to dash to the front door. "She's so good with kids.... She's gonna be such a good mom someday," he thought. Keigo leaned against the door frame, wondering if he would one day be able to see her do this with their kids.

"Ready to go?" she asked her.

Ayuri nodded and before the brunette could say anything else, she dashed out the room.

Mariko stood up slowly, shaking her head though there wasn't a single trace of annoyance in her expression. She looked up at him a slight smile on her face, "She's just a ball of energy isn't she?"

Keigo laughed and threw his arm around the woman, guiding her to the front door. "She's got spark. I like it."

The first destination on the day's adventure was the park. Originally, he'd planned to take the brunette ice skating before the ice melted. Now, the plans had changed to just walking around and enjoying a day outside together. Ayuri probably didn't have the coordination yet to go ice skating and he didn't want her to get scared if people started skating by them quickly or have her get hurt if she fell.

"The park?" Mariko asked as he guided them through the entrance. Ayuri's face lit up with excitement and she tugged harshly on her hand.  The brunette's surprise, however, caught him off guard.

He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly, "You don't like it?" he asked, suddenly feeling unsure of himself.

She looked at him, a soft smile graced her features as she pecked his cheek. "It was a good choice. I haven't been to the park in a long time," she told him.

Keigo sighed in relief and smiled, proud that he knew his girlfriend well enough to pick something she would enjoy.

"Letsss gooooo," Ayuri groaned, using all her weight to pull Mariko who didn't even budge an inch.

"Alright alright. We're going, don't get too ahead of yourself," she warned, following the little girl whose eyes were locked on the playground a little ways away.

"Can I run ahead?" she asked as they got closer. The four-year-old was tired of having to wait for the two slow adults.

Mariko quickly glanced at their surroundings and, seeing nothing that would harm her, nodded, and let go of her hand.

Ayuri squealed in delight and sprinted towards the playground, immediately going to join a group of kids her age.

"She already made friends," Keigo noted as they sat down on a bench. He glanced at the brunette next to him and saw a calm smile on her face as she nodded. "She's always been a social butterfly. She gets it from Kaede, Hayato was never like that," commented.

"Kaede is her mom?" he asked.

Mariko nodded. "Mhm, her dad's at the hospital. That's why Hayato brought her over this morning," she explained.