Chapter 36

The week had been long and tiring. There was a flu outbreak and people were constantly coming in with raging fevers, nausea, and breathing problems- all things Mariko couldn't fix with her quirk. She- like many of the other nurses at the understaffed hospital- had been running around the entire week trying to help as best they could "the old-fashioned way." It was times like these when training and education became really important.

Not being able to rely on her quirk for assistance, however, had kept her stress levels high all week long and now that it was Friday she was really looking forward to a chance to decompress. One of the things she was eagerly anticipating was Keigo's standing dinner invitation. At this point, she barely had enough energy to grab a bag of chips from the vending machine, much less cook a meal for two. Besides, after so many nights of covering extra shifts at the hospital, she deserved a night out.

It was the end of her shift. Mariko stood at her locker, changing her clothes, and grabbing her things. As soon as she reached for her phone, it started ringing- it was Keigo. "Hey, I was just about to leave. Are you here?" she asked. The blonde liked to pick her up from work on Fridays so they could either go directly to whatever restaurant he planned to take her, or discuss where they were getting take out from.

Hawks sighed into the line, frowning at the note on his desk indicating that Dabi wanted to meet with him today. He would've said no, but he was supposed to be introduced to someone new today and there was no way he could pass up the opportunity. Unfortunately, that meant canceling on Mariko this week. "Actually Chickee, I called to tell you I'll be taking a raincheck on our dinner-date," he half-joked. Ever since that strange moment while they were walking home, that atmosphere around them had changed a bit, and their platonic outings didn't feel so... platonic, anymore. Maybe it was all in his head, but Keigo was starting to view these outings as something akin to a date. Even if Mariko didn't see it that way, he always made sure to plan his schedule around their Friday night outings. Suddenly ditching her didn't sit right with him.

"Oh... Is everything okay?" she asked, knowing that he wasn't one to be late or cancel on things.

"Yeah, it's just that something came up. I've got a surprise meeting tonight; I'll be around for a bit, but I've gotta get back to work later tonight," he told her.

"Ah I see," she said. "It's probably something to do with the League then," she realized.

"Yeah. I'll make it up to ya Chickee, scout's honor," he assured her.

"Were you ever a scout?"

"It's an expression, you know what I mean."

Mariko hummed, "Sure. Alright then, I'll let you go. Stay safe out there."

"You too Kid. See you in a bit."

"See you," she said, hanging up.

The brunette sighed disappointedly and closed her locker door. "Guess I'll have to order myself takeout," she thought.

"Hey Mari! I'm glad I caught you before I left!" Sakura exclaimed, entering the room.

"What's up?"

"It's been a long week for all of us, so a group is gonna go out and hit up some bars tonight. Will you come?" she asked.

Mariko narrowed her eyes at the short-haired female. Something in Sakura's voice told her she had an ulterior motive. "There's something else you're not telling me. Spill."

Sakura sighed dramatically, "One of the residents is gonna be there and I've been trying to talk to him for weeks, but something always comes up. I'm gonna do it tonight for sure though!" she exclaimed determined.

"And you want me to be your wing-woman," she finished.

The brunette nodded eagerly.

She frowned, while the idea of going out sounded nice, she didn't know about spending the evening third-wheeling Sakura and her crush.

"Pleassseee Mari?" she begged, "You promised me you would go this time!"

"When did I do that?"

"You've blown me off the last two times because you were going out with Hawks!" Sakura reminded her. The brunette's eyes widened suddenly, "Are you guys going out again tonight? I didn't know it was that serious!" she exclaimed.

Mariko glared at the younger woman. "It's not serious at all because we aren't dating or anything like that. No, I don't have any plans tonight. I'm just not sure I wanna spend my Friday night following you around."

The brunette groaned loudly. "Ugh, but it's not like you have anything better to do. What were you gonna do at home huh? Sit and eat takeout while watching some stupid movie and wait for your boyfriend to come home?"

Mariko sighed, "One: he's not my boyfriend. Two: touché... Alright, I'll go."

Her eyes widened with excitement, "Yes! Awesome! Let's go home together and get ready there!" she suggested.

"What? Why? We can just meet up there."

"Because your place is closer. That and I don't trust you to dress yourself in a way that won't embarrass me," she shrugged.

"I don't dress badly," Mariko defended.

Sakura shrugged, "Can't be too careful then." She grabbed Mariko's arm and began to drag her out of the building. "Come on let's go!" she exclaimed.